topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox 15 less of a memory hog  (Read 72094 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 15 less of a memory hog
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2012, 06:32 AM »
40hz, your connection issues sound strange! But isn't one of the new features in FF14 vs FF15 (more?) support for the SPDY protocol? Mayhaps related?

Haven't had any problems here, and I do have a few addons installed - including the greedy AdBlockPlus (it's totally worth it for me, though :)). If you've been using the same firefox profile for a while (especially installing/uninstalling addons?), perhaps it's worth trying starting with a clean firefox profile and re-adding the addons you use... if that solves issues, import the necessary settings from your old profile (no idea how to do that, but I'm sure there's an application for it).

Also, VACUUM the various sqlite databases FF uses, then defrag the database files. That has helped me in the past to alleviate some of the occasional stutters.

- carpe noctem

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2012, 07:10 AM »
@dantheman:
I try to keep a Scrapbook copy of most of my sources for mods to the FF browser.
This is a sample of some of the older ones that I have. You may need to use discretion about what you do and don't action.
Some of the mods may have been made obsolete by later verions of FF, but for those that involve about::config changes, then check your about::config to see how it compares.
Stopping here, as I haven't the energy to manually copy all the entries I have. I am currently very ill with flu', so I hope this partial list might be of indicative use.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2012, 08:00 AM »
If you've been using the same firefox profile for a while (especially installing/uninstalling addons?), perhaps it's worth trying starting with a clean firefox profile and re-adding the addons you use... if that solves issues, import the necessary settings from your old profile (no idea how to do that, but I'm sure there's an application for it).

@f- Thx for the input. Much appreciated. :)

I don't really add or remove addons that frequently. I have a list that I've pretty much standardised on for all my FF installs unless one of them becomes incompatible with whatever version of FF I'm running.

List is:

• AdBlock+
  • BetterPrivacy
  • Download Helper
  • Download Statusbar
  • DownThemAll!
  • FlashGot
  • NoScript
  • Scrapbook
  • User Agent Switcher
  • WebOfTrust (installed but usually left disabled)

(All are whatever the most current versions are.)

Also, VACUUM the various sqlite databases FF uses, then defrag the database files. That has helped me in the past to alleviate some of the occasional stutters.

Tried that already.  Even ran BleachBit to remove anything that may have been lurking in cookies or whatever. Still happening.

Here's the interesting thing: the problem usually occurs after FF has been open for a while. The thing that tells me it's starting is when I either enter something into the search bar - or when I tell a link to open in a new tab - and the new tab goes into limbo. From what I can see there's a problem when that new tab gets opened. That's when the "connecting" spinner just keeps looping. Once that happens, it's a turkey shoot. Doing a restart clears it. But if I don't restart, sometimes the problem will also clear itself enough (after a minute or two) that I can close the tab and try again. But not always. And once I get that connection timeout FF becomes less and less stable. However, it is not a problem if I manually open a new tab and enter a URL there.

I think it may have something to do with the "open new windows in new tab instead" setting. Because that seems to be where the problem is occurring.

-----

Anyway...I'm going to try a full uninstall followed by a clean install with a fresh profile and NO addons to see if the problem goes away. I'm also setting up a new Nix machine today, so I'll check it out there as well, just to eliminate any chance of a Linux snafu being the cause.

Onward! 8)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I don't really add or remove addons that frequently. I have a list that I've pretty much standardised on for all my FF installs unless one of them becomes incompatible with whatever version of FF I'm running.
Go add Ghostery to that list right away! :)

I think it may have something to do with the "open new windows in new tab instead" setting. Because that seems to be where the problem is occurring.
Humm, I have that enabled as well.

FWIW: I usually don't leave my machine running overnight, so FireFox will get restarted at least once a day (but I usually do leave it running for the entirety of a Windows session) - so it's seldom it's running for more than 12+ hours (just in case it's some particularly nasty leaks that creep in after a long time). I use multiple tab groups, most of the time having at least 12 tabs in an inactive group, 8+ in the currently active one, and sometimes an additional window or two with a bunch of tabs open when I'm researching something. Not into the insane 200+ constant tabs open range, but definitely a bit more than light use :)
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2012, 09:42 AM »
[quo
Go add Ghostery to that list right away! :)

Oh that is nice! Just added to my list.
Thx for the heads-up. I keep hearing about Ghostery. If it has your blessing, I'm good with it. :Thmbsup:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2012, 09:59 AM »
Oh that is nice! Just added to my list.
Thx for the heads-up. I keep hearing about Ghostery. If it has your blessing, I'm good with it. :Thmbsup:
I discovered it a few days ago (incidentally looking for BetterPrivacy, which I'm still not sure if I'm going to install), and I'm quite liking it so far - even on sites that I don't whitelist with NoScript, it often filters out a good handful of bugs. And for sites where I whitelist javascript, it's nice still getting the beacons and tracking filtered out. It does obviously mean yet another addon parsing the html before it hits the browser, so in theory it could slow down stuff ever so slightly... but for me, it has so far been neutral or even slightly faster because of ignoring the tracking crud :Thmbsup:

PS: try surfing to TomsHardware with Ghostery installed :-)
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2012, 11:22 AM »
^FWIW I've been using Better Privacy for a few years now. It doesn't seem to cause any problems or slowdowns since it only deals with removing LSO/Flash cookies. It does what it says although I'm not sure how much of a risk supercookies still are. I've got it set to automatically ask to delete them when I exit FF. Time was when it used to identify a half dozen or so after every web session. Lately it only occasionally notifies me of deletions. I don't know if that's a function of changes in the popularity of these cookies; or if it's more a matter of changes to my browsing habits.

So far it's been a benign and possibly useful extension, although I have no way of knowing what (if any) real risks it may have protected me from. Since it doesn't hurt - and it may help - I guess I'll continue to keep it on my standard list.

------------------
P.S. Cancel previous 'nice.' Ghostery is great! :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2012, 03:26 PM »
That Ghostery looks interesting. I think I tried it in the past. Don't remember why I stopped using it.  But I'm checking it out in FF 14 and chromium now. One thing I notice is the bubble that shows the alerts, the font and background are both black. I have to drag the mouse to read it.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2012, 07:37 AM »
That Ghostery looks interesting. I think I tried it in the past. Don't remember why I stopped using it.  But I'm checking it out in FF 14 and chromium now. One thing I notice is the bubble that shows the alerts, the font and background are both black. I have to drag the mouse to read it.
Weird - it's grey-on-purple here.
- carpe noctem

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2012, 08:39 AM »
@40hz consider adding another useful addon: "session manager"  8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2012, 08:43 AM »
^might be a function of the theme? On the FF default it shows as light gray on a black or very dark gray background on my machine.

-/-

Re: SessionMgr - Thx. Will definitely check it out.  :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2012, 08:49 AM »
I would love to see a Venn diagram of what people here use for FF/Fx/whatever extensions. I loathe installing anything at all anymore for almost any reason, and really need to be CONVINCED to try something new now.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2012, 09:21 AM »
About the only FF extension I'd absolutely call necessary is NoScript - although Ghostery is getting close to what I'd consider a second 'must have.'

(It is 'FF ' btw - no matter what the heretics may say. )  :P  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:42 AM by 40hz »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2012, 09:54 AM »
About the only FF extension I'd absolutely call necessary is NoScript - although Ghostery is getting close to what I'd consider a second 'must have.'
I think I'd put AdBlock+ above NoScript - it gets rid of the most nasty (sources of) JavaScript, and ads as well. Security-wise, NS does do a bit more good, though.

(It is 'FF ' btw - no matter what the heretics may say. )  :P  ;)
:Thmbsup:
- carpe noctem

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2012, 10:22 AM »
I always install these addons on FF

adblock, flashblock, quickjava, browser protect
scrapbook, session manager
download status bar, download helper
swiffout
qtl15

I'll check out Ghostery,
some recommendation for a rss reader ?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2012, 11:25 AM »
The thing about NoScript is the need to white list, I find white list useless in this sense. Look at the description of the plugin

It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice

My trusted domains are what exactly? Just because I like and trust a site doesn't mean the site can't some day be infected, what am I missing? (Unless one has no white list and let it protect/block every thing)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2012, 11:29 AM »
I think I'd put AdBlock+ above NoScript - it gets rid of the most nasty (sources of) JavaScript, and ads as well. Security-wise, NS does do a bit more good, though.

I agree about AdBlock which is the other extension I have always added to any new FF installation. But I held back on calling it essential because of the minor controversy regarding the ethics of blocking ads. And I really didn't want to open up that whole can of worms again. So I figured I'd just leave it up to the individual as to how they want to deal with that. If a 'free' access site has a reasonable ad policy I try, out of respect, not to block their ads - unless they're getting too distracting or obnoxious about it.

In general, I tend  to install add-ons only to enhance security rather than add features. Nowadays I'm like Renegade in that I need to be shown some clear and compelling benefit before I'll even consider installing anything new inside a browser. Ghostery is probably the first  addition to my add-on collection in the last two years.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:47 AM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2012, 11:38 AM »
I always install these addons on FF

adblock, flashblock, quickjava, browser protect
scrapbook, session manager
download status bar, download helper
swiffout
qtl15

I'll check out Ghostery,
some recommendation for a rss reader ?

I've been generally happy with Sage, although it is very basic in what it does and has some minor quirks that drive some people crazy. If super-basic is what you're looking for, Sage will do it for you. I can't say there's any standalone reader I really like although GreatNews portable comes closest to what I'd use if I didn't have Sage.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2012, 11:45 AM »
The thing about NoScript is the need to white list, I find white list useless in this sense. Look at the description of the plugin

It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice

My trusted domains are what exactly? Just because I like and trust a site doesn't mean the site can't some day be infected, what am I missing? (Unless one has no white list and let it protect/block every thing)

FWIW I rarely ever whitelist anything in NoScript for exactly that reason. I just temporarily enable some or all of a site when I web over to it, and then disable any temporary permissions when I leave. True, it's extra steps, and a small inconvenience when browsing. But the added security and "no bad surprises" aspect is worth it to me.

Of course, if you're more the "50+ open tabs power-user" type, my dumbass approach won't work for you. ;D

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2012, 12:02 PM »
I agree about AdBlock which is the other extension I have always added to any new FF installation. But I held back on calling it essential because of the minor controversy regarding the ethics of blocking ads.

well AdBlock allows the user to disable blocking ads on any site of his preference, for example I permit ads on some wikis of indy developers, but you are right as for most people install it and then forget it but we are recommending their use because it isn't installed by default (that'd be a scandal) and because most users ain't e-junkies :)

Actually I've been using Newsfox lately but I miss some type of synchronization between different machines.
I should try Google's reader again to see if it's more usable, I'll give Sage a try as well.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2012, 01:58 PM »
That Ghostery looks interesting. I think I tried it in the past. Don't remember why I stopped using it.  But I'm checking it out in FF 14 and chromium now. One thing I notice is the bubble that shows the alerts, the font and background are both black. I have to drag the mouse to read it.
Weird - it's grey-on-purple here.

If you have flat screen I guess there's contrast on those funky color combinations. On CRT it's black on black crime. :)  Eventually I'll have to give up the SVGA connector. I'm using an old kvma switch and Gateway VX900. Maybe when I get an OctaCore or whatever they call 8-core PCs, I'll step up to dual flat screens. :)

btw now I remember why I quit using Ghostery. At least on chrome it keeps crashing and pulls LastPass down with it.  I just took it off.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2012, 02:02 PM »
Just installed the Memory Restart add-on. Hopefully on a temporary basis. This will let me keep better track of what FF is up to with RAM usage. It shows the amount used in the toobar and has some simple options you can configure including the option to auto-restart - although I can't imagine why you'd ever want to let it do that.

usage.png   

memrest.png

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:08 PM by 40hz »

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2012, 02:35 PM »
I can never remember to check Task Manager when it happens, but in Firefox and Waterfox both, I often get a frozen browser for nearly a minute before I can scroll or click on another tab, while seeing a busy cursor (going in circles animation, I guess that replaced the hourglass in Win 7).

I have just set Microsoft Security Essentials to exclude firefox.exe and waterfox.exe from monitored processes to see if that is an issue. Many will recall we had a thread about issues antivirus software was causing with FARR for this reason. So this is just a test at this point. I will let you know how it goes.

AdBlock Plus is a necessity. I've never seen any ethical dilemma there, unless someone believes it is unethical to fast forward through TV commercials, and it cuts down on malware, especially if you have kids. The default for ABP these days is to "allow some non-intrusive advertising" which lets in some text ads, that I'm OK with. Besides that, I have four domains in my exclusion list, the one I remember adding is MakeUseOf.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Lately when I reboot FF 15 takes a REALLY long time for me to load now.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2012, 09:07 PM »
@TaoPhoenix
I read an article a couple of years ago about ram hog plugins, I disabled a dictionary with lots of features and managed to make FF load faster. You can try some of these solutions:
http://support.mozil...-too-much-memory-ram

in my case, what causes FF freeze and consume a lot of memory is opening a bunch of tabs with "google images" links