ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 15 less of a memory hog

<< < (10/28) > >>

dantheman:
Firefox 15 just shines!  :-*

I've always worked with about a dozen addons and it is a well known fact that Adblock Plus is the major resource hog (a sacrifice i'm willing to make).

This latest version is just superb!  :Thmbsup:

Firefox is the most configurable browser and i sure hope it will stay that way.

Check GHacks for user reviews.

Renegade:
I'm not too sure about Adblock Plus (if there are copies with the same name), but there are a billion "Adblock" plugins, and some are better than others. Some do a good job of filtering out, but hog so much CPU as to make surfing either painful or impossible. I have ABP in Chrome, and it works nicely. Had others, nightmare. I'll sacrifice a little CPU (I have a beast of a machine, so I have TONNES of CPU power), but I won't tolerate some plugin that thinks it's the only thing on my machine.

daddydave:
Something ugly about the Waterfox variant of version 15. By default it wanted to install an antivirus program (AVG) including a toolbar that it said only works in 32-bit browsers (Waterfox is 64-bit), I hate bundleware, and not expecting to see it in something downloaded from Sourceforge. All versions of Firefox freeze like crazy these days to me, I hope this is better.

Renegade:
Something ugly about the Waterfox variant of version 15. By default it wanted to install an antivirus program (AVG) including a toolbar that it said only works in 32-bit browsers (Waterfox is 64-bit), I hate bundleware, and not expecting to see it in something downloaded from Sourceforge. All versions of Firefox freeze like crazy these days to me, I hope this is better.
-daddydave (September 01, 2012, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can understand them bundling AVG. They need to pay the bills. The programmers need to get paid. I like opt in rather than opt out, but I'm not super-uber-ultra-against opt-out. I do not use opt-out in the 1 program where I use installer ads.

dantheman:
I wanted to give Waterfox a spin and encountered same issue as daddydave.
Even worse, i think opting out from installing the "adware/toolbar" i was unable to even run the browser.  :(
I've got Windows 7 Home Ed. 64 bit at present time so it should work just the same no?

I wouldn't mind donating to different devs for their great work (ex. the addons i use on Firefox) but would have to spend a day to make $5 donations.

It would be nice if Mozilla could make it a one shot deal and that they distribute their donations according to popularity of addons.
They could leave the option to donate to single addons for those who want to give greater tips.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version