ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fake Reviews: Amazon's Rotten Core

<< < (3/8) > >>

Renegade:
If I had my way, SEO fscktards would be publicly tortured, they're ruining the interwebs.
-f0dder (August 29, 2012, 02:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Jabberwock:
We are going to wake up one day and find out that half of the content on the internet (facebook accounts, twitter accounts, reviews, kickstarter donations, amazon reviews, etc.) is fake paid content designed to manufacture momentum and positive press.
-mouser (August 28, 2012, 09:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't worry that half of the Internet is written by AI, if three fourths of the readers will be bots - statistically we still get ahead...

Carol Haynes:
I think the whole issue needs to be resolved at ISP level. Just like we have certificates for websites ISPs should issue certificates for users and websites and email should only allow certified users to use the service. The ISP has to know who you are and where you are to bill you so when you sign up for an account your details could be fixed by the certificate issuing authority. It would also save having to fill in name and address details all the time.

Websites could then refuse access to someone who doesn't come with a verified certificate. Could potentially reduce the amount of spam if mail servers only accepted mail from genuine certificated users.

Would also stop fake accounts because the certified user would have to be registered at an address with credit card or bank details to get the certificate.

Renegade:
I think the whole issue needs to be resolved at ISP level. Just like we have certificates for websites ISPs should issue certificates for users and websites and email should only allow certified users to use the service. The ISP has to know who you are and where you are to bill you so when you sign up for an account your details could be fixed by the certificate issuing authority. It would also save having to fill in name and address details all the time.

Websites could then refuse access to someone who doesn't come with a verified certificate. Could potentially reduce the amount of spam if mail servers only accepted mail from genuine certificated users.

Would also stop fake accounts because the certified user would have to be registered at an address with credit card or bank details to get the certificate.
-Carol Haynes (August 29, 2012, 06:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds very, very dangerous. It basically eliminates privacy entirely. Besides, it wouldn't stop spammers. e.g. http://pwnieexpress.com/products/wireless-plug

SeraphimLabs:
I expect Mr. Rutherford has a text editing software that automatically can vary a bunch of phrases - otherwise merely $20 (6,000/300) for a review really is too cheap, I think....
-Curt (August 28, 2012, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

{Yes|Affirmative|Right you are|Yes Sir|You got it mister}.  The same kind of {program|software|code|magic} that {generates|produces|makes} those {articles|stories|pages|pages of text|blatherings} that {you|people|surfers|unfortunates} {find|locate|discover|happen upon|fall victim to} on the {internet|web|world-wide-web|www|intertubes|blagosphere|blagoblag} that {read|appear|look like|render} like {a hopped-up thesaurus junkie|someone who just discovered Word's thesaurus feature|a monkey with search and replace} {took a few too many liberties|went crazy on them|hates you and everyone who might come upon that site}.

And spin away...
-cthorpe (August 28, 2012, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup:

Incidentally, I just wrote some software the other day to help me do pretty much the same thing. However, the output isn't for posting - it's for an artificial intelligence engine.
-Renegade (August 29, 2012, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

The markov algorithm can already generate sensible phrases. Imagine a furby with an entire server's worth of memory and processing power behind it. That's what I got when I coupled the markov algorithm to an IRC bot so that people could interact wtih it.

But so much of what is out there on the internet really is fake, or is actually half-truths driven by corporate incentives. It's impossible for the little guy to get ahead anymore, all of the big brands beat him down at the first sign that he might succeed.

And even the KSSN system- where you have to use your social security number to gain access to certain content, is still unable to completely prevent internet abuses. Forcing legitimate users to jump through hoops to use will just kill off any chance of the internet being useful at all. They should instead crack right on down on the less honest people that are poisoning the apple barrel for everyone else.

Because it's inexcusable that someone convicted of thousands of dollars in fraud is able to start right back up and do it all over again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version