ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fake Reviews: Amazon's Rotten Core

(1/8) > >>

Jibz:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharmananderson/2012/08/28/fake-reviews-amazons-rotten-core/

Leather admitted to creating accounts on Amazon under assumed names in order to leave positive reviews of his own work.  ...  Leather is not the only one engaging in such practices. On 25 August, the New York Times revealed that the use of fake reviews is widespread. In exploring the case of reviewer-for-hire Todd Jason Rutherford, the NY Times exposed self-publishing poster boy John Locke who bought 300 reviews from Rutherford’s business, GettingBookReviews, spending about $6,000 to do so
--- End quote ---

Stuff like this makes it really hard to trust public user reviews :-\.

Curt:
I expect Mr. Rutherford has a text editing software that automatically can vary a bunch of phrases - otherwise merely $20 (6,000/300) for a review really is too cheap, I think....

cthorpe:
I expect Mr. Rutherford has a text editing software that automatically can vary a bunch of phrases - otherwise merely $20 (6,000/300) for a review really is too cheap, I think....
-Curt (August 28, 2012, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

{Yes|Affirmative|Right you are|Yes Sir|You got it mister}.  The same kind of {program|software|code|magic} that {generates|produces|makes} those {articles|stories|pages|pages of text|blatherings} that {you|people|surfers|unfortunates} {find|locate|discover|happen upon|fall victim to} on the {internet|web|world-wide-web|www|intertubes|blagosphere|blagoblag} that {read|appear|look like|render} like {a hopped-up thesaurus junkie|someone who just discovered Word's thesaurus feature|a monkey with search and replace} {took a few too many liberties|went crazy on them|hates you and everyone who might come upon that site}.

And spin away...

mouser:
We are going to wake up one day and find out that half of the content on the internet (facebook accounts, twitter accounts, reviews, kickstarter donations, amazon reviews, etc.) is fake paid content designed to manufacture momentum and positive press.  Depressing.

Hopefully we will eventually find a way to get rid of this harmful practice.

superboyac:
We are going to wake up one day and find out that half of the content on the internet (facebook accounts, twitter accounts, reviews, kickstarter donations, amazon reviews, etc.) is fake paid content designed to manufacture momentum and positive press.  Depressing.

Hopefully we will eventually find a way to get rid of this harmful practice.
-mouser (August 28, 2012, 09:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I believe it.  I don't know if it's the current times, or the fact that I'm in my 30s, or what...but I'm learning a whole lot about a whole bunch of misconceptions in my life.  Big stuff.  Parents, religion, people, friends, business, this country, the world...none of it is even close to the way it has been sold to me or how I pictured it.  I feel like I have studied hard and worked hard for 25 years, and the last 5 years of the internet has essentially destroyed all that stuff.  But the soul of all that work still remains, and that is the part I'm keeping.  I have no idea what that means, but it sure is weird.  I guess that's life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version