topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: "Load a new browser instance with X tabs from previously located sites"  (Read 15797 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think I like the alternating approach, because then I think it works well towards my usage of importing into spreadsheets.

I think you can figure out how to mix 2 text files. Line from file one, line from file two, repeat.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just scanned this.  Don't know that the link is really germane  :-\, but OpenUpper.com is a service that seems to do what's requested.  Only problem is, it's an online service  :(.  (And I may not grasp the request.)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just scanned this.  Don't know that the link is really germane  :-\, but OpenUpper.com is a service that seems to do what's requested.  Only problem is, it's an online service  :(.  (And I may not grasp the request.)

Glancing at it, it looks like an applet to generate a home page with a bunch of links. Some people like that for a start page.  Likely a lot more efficient than Speed-dial. But I like the thumbnails. :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think I like the alternating approach, because then I think it works well towards my usage of importing into spreadsheets.

I think you can figure out how to mix 2 text files. Line from file one, line from file two, repeat.

Well, the power of the original concept was avoiding tedious cut and paste to begin with. Not only is time saved, but it helps avoid data transfer errors. Besides the problems of cut-pasting one by one, ("Where was I again?") but let's say you batch run it, but you forgot and deleted a tab, now you have a corrupted batch and have to go debug.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seems like this google search would be self-evident:

search with terms "combine 2 text files alternating lines"

http://www.computing...ing-order/19292.html

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, the power of the original concept was avoiding tedious cut and paste to begin with. Not only is time saved, but it helps avoid data transfer errors. Besides the problems of cut-pasting one by one, ("Where was I again?") but let's say you batch run it, but you forgot and deleted a tab, now you have a corrupted batch and have to go debug.

After a few days of rest, I went back to this. The way through was realizing that the "goal" was to import the data into a spreadsheet. So bugs aside (see below!) the only point of the text file with two lines was just in the import process to spreadsheet programs it can split the data with a text/tab delimiter. However it's still plenty easy just to load in one column at a time, so that's fine.

However, I may have found a bug. On the URL list the first URL is first, sure. But on the titles list, it seems to be at the end! Because this whole use case is about lining up data rows, that causes a shift off by one, making every single one wrong! (I caught on the second time and fixed it, but it's certainly a bug.)

So otherwise I am almost satisfied with this aspect of this program.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know where the "off by one" bug is. In future I would suggest you make some specific references. It's not clear from reading your last post you are referring to my program since there was also a python script in play in the thread.  In any case, thanks for pointing out the off by one. I'll upload once it's fixed.

edit: BrowserBunch.zip with fixed BBSS.exe has been uploaded to my site.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:52 PM by MilesAhead »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know where the "off by one" bug is. In future I would suggest you make some specific references. It's not clear from reading your last post you are referring to my program since there was also a python script in play in the thread.  In any case, thanks for pointing out the off by one. I'll upload once it's fixed.

Yeah, it's pure activity by BBSS. No Pythons or scripts were harmed in my testing.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know where the "off by one" bug is. In future I would suggest you make some specific references. It's not clear from reading your last post you are referring to my program since there was also a python script in play in the thread.  In any case, thanks for pointing out the off by one. I'll upload once it's fixed.

Yeah, it's pure activity by BBSS. No Pythons or scripts were harmed in my testing.

See above.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That looks better.

It takes a little effort to completely uninstall and reinstall it, but then I think it goes. I'll test it some more.