ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: "Load a new browser instance with X tabs from previously located sites"

(1/7) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

This feels similar to some of the ideas I have already seen, so if it's been done someone can point me. (MilesAhead, your stuff is ringing a bell but this feels just a hair different.)

I Do "multi-batching" of my web pages with X topical tabs on an instance, and then Y more topical tabs on a new instance, producing two items on my task bar consisting of two copies of (currently Firefox but later someone can expand this) with batched tabs according to whatever project I am working on at the moment.

I would like to be able to save something like a Firefox Icon (named as needed) that would then produce one new instance with those tabs loaded. Important: *Not* to call up any existing instance and "smash the new tabs onto it". (That tends to happen on some sites I visit.) So for example when I click the raw Firefox Icon, I get a new instance, so just have the utility have previously analyzed what sites were loaded, then just reload them.

jgpaiva:
Isn't this similar to the concept of "sessions"? Loading a session on demand?
I know Opera has this (even though I think there's no way to start opera from a specific session, you have to launch it and then switch sessions. also, you'd have to save the session in the end). Not sure if there's something similar for firefox.
If there isn't an extension that does this, there sure should be, I also would find it useful.

I've dome something similar to this using tab stacking in opera. However, this implies that all tabs from all sessions are loaded in memory at the same time. (actually, not true, since no Opera only loads tabs when you select them).

tomos:
I use "Session Manager" (FF addon) a lot - comix, research for printer, last daily set of tabs, etc. etc. I havent used it like this before but it works:

open a session manager file using FF. Set FF as the default opener and add to desktop (or create a shortcut).

TaoPhoenix:
Hmm, good start guys, when I am not quite so giddy I will try your ideas and see what I get.

I was hoping to go to the extra step and have (whatever is in my browser) and do some kind of Save-As, name it, and create a new icon I can name. Does that clarify anything?

jgpaiva:
Also, another way of doing this: keeping multiple profile folders. I know in previous versions of Opera you could pass the  profile as a command line argument, I suppose you can do something similar in ff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version