ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Alternatives to RecentX

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
I dont use RecentX nor this plugin, so not sure - but worth a try I'd say:

How about FARR with
FARR plugin: FARR Most Recently Used 1.0.0

(Commercial use allowed for individuals.)

DerekHal:
Didn't know about that plugin. I tested it, and it looks good.

Hopefully there's a switch for starting FARR with the MRU-plugin pre-loaded, but is it also possible to define which one of the MRU-lists that are to be displayed automatically upon launching?

tomos:
Hopefully there's a switch for starting FARR with the MRU-plugin pre-loaded, but it is also possible to define which one of the MRU-lists that are to be displayed automatically upon launching?
-DerekHal (August 26, 2012, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

phitsc (the plugin author) is an active dc member, so it possibly would be best to ask in that plugin thread to get his attention.

Curt:
How about FARR -tomos (August 26, 2012, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Find and Run Robot isn't the only program of its type available on the internet, though we think it's the best. Like most DonationCoder.com programs, you'll find a complete help file in the download that lists all similar shareware and freeware programs we know about (Launchy, Quicksilver, Dash, AppRocket, and many more).-FARR
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
As far as I can see it tracks any recently use file, folder, program, and website.
-DerekHal (August 26, 2012, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's interesting. When I was looking into doing MRU stuff I thought to hook ShellExecute. Turns out that's deprecated as of Vista. Also the Registry has some MRU lists. I noticed on one site a programmer found from testing that the start menu "frequently used" mechanism favored some MS apps even if they were only used once recently over some 3rd party apps launched 30 times. The docs on WMI which can do performance and some other monitoring are kind of vague.

Due to these complications I went with the simpler active window monitoring approach. It would be nicer if there was a simpe way to get notified every time the system launched something. But maybe because of malware it's discouraged.

From what you say it sounds like RecentX hooks ShellExecute, but that's just a guess. I'm reluctant to hook into that function since it does most of the app loading and a bug would be system wide. Also it's the type of thing probably better done in a c/c++ based language or asm rather than script. Better done by a software team with resources, esp. since they get some income to offset the risks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version