ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Generic saving reminder

<< < (2/3) > >>

shmuel1:
For these options I need to know the window class:
- show the total amount of currently opened ATH_Notes in the message
- experimental option: closing the message box will automatically
  send ctrl-S to all opened ATH_Note windows.

skwire:
Window Class = ATH_Note-me_7834539 (September 04, 2012, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

^^^   :)

skwire:
We've been working offline on this.  On first run, the program creates an INI file.  Adjust as necessary and choose reload from the tray menu.

Source/Binary: http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/snacks/meReminder.zip

me_7834539:
Here's some general comments and instructions:

- Copy and rename and you can watch additional programs (simply configure the additional ini file)

- It also works nicely with OpenOffice (classname is SALFRAME)

- Set up to autostart at windows boot (and configure tray icons to be fully hidden)

- Pressing Ctrl-S will activate the first of the windows that needs attention (unless it's in the foreground already), press Ctrl-S
again to save (super ergonomic! :) ). (If more than one window has been detected (as shown in the box), you may want to go through all opened Windows that need care in terms of saving.)

- Sending Ctrl-S directly to the application is _generally_ something unreliable and will also interfere with your work. This program is _the best you can get_ in terms of saving your work regularly, unless the program you use has a good built-in autosave function.

- You may want to combine this program with commercial programs like e.g. SecondCopy. You'll have e.g. 25 former versions, with e.g. 10 minutes of work between each.

- I have been using and testing this beautiful script and it works like a charm and has actually prevented data loss for me. It is as unobstrusive as it can be, and did not interfere with work at all.

- You must can use e.g. the window spy function of ahk (right click AHK tray icon) to find out the classname of your program.
##however, the window spy function has been forgotten to be shown in meReminder's tray context menu (@skwire -> you may want to add this.) Anyway, otherwise just install AHK and just use Window Spy from its startmenu group.

- For testing, you can set the ini file to e.g. IntervalMins=0.1 so it will pop up the saving reminder every 6 seconds.

- If this program saved you from data loss or if it helps you to regularly save/and or backup your work, please consider showing some appreciation to skwire by means of a small donation (like I did), I am really so happy with this little program, thanks skwire!!! :)

--------------------------------------
Here's some tags: save, remind, autosave, save reminder, regularly, intervals; here's some German tags: Speichern, Speicher-Erinnerung, ans Speichern erinnern, Erinnerungsprogramm, regelmäßige Erinnerung

me_7834539:
Just an update, I have been using this program for over a year now and it worked great to remind me to save e-mail drafts in Windows Live Mail, which I still prefer to most other Clients for various reasons.
It also works well for OpenOffice, if one does not want to use the built-in saving feature.
Thanks again, skwire! :)  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version