topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ginger free spell/grammar checker extension for chrome  (Read 3337 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ginger free spell/grammar checker extension for chrome
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Ginger Free Grammar Checker

I'm using chromium 23.x snapshot now. A cursory trial of Ginger seems to indicate it's not flaky. It picks off grammar errors such as what it be, and spelling errors using a wavy green underline. There aren't many free grammar checkers around that don't require pasting into a web site.  So far I haven't detected any side-effects typing with Ginger active as I have with some other checkers. For these reasons I'd say it's worth a test drive.  Especially if you use a chrome based browser as default.

There are also desktop versions of Ginger for non-chrome browsers.

Note that when I first started typing, Ginger didn't seem to do anything even though I deliberately typed in some "dis and dat" verbiage. However once I clicked the toolbar button it seemed to wake up. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 06:43 PM by MilesAhead »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ginger free spell/grammar checker extension for chrome
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Been trying the desktop version.  Not too shabby, although I do have arguments with its grammar choices at times  :mad:.  Not certain that it has read the Chicago Manual of Style  :P :P.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:27 PM »
I've only given it a cursory try. My main objective was to see if it made the editing "hinky" like the last inline grammar checker I tried.

Trouble with spell checkers is my typos are too often words. Also if the 's' is left off the end they have no way to know I wanted the word to be plural.

But what I really need is something that would get rid of passive voice and clauses. When I learned grammar in school that Hemingway simple declarative sentence stuff was taught as the "new fangled" revolutionary way of writing. Of course they had to teach us the old fangled way or we wouldn't be capable of appreciating it. Typing "I walked to the store" makes me feel like I'm writing "See Spot run."  Just seems too simple to be goodest. :)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 02:37 AM »
Interesting .. my only immediate reservation is where do they make their money if the software is free?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:06 AM »
Interesting .. my only immediate reservation is where do they make their money if the software is free?

http://www.gingersof.../ginger-for-schools/

Evidently the one I'm using is a loss leader. :)