ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Steps to Flash the HP ENVY 14 laptop's Matshita DVD RAM - to make it Region-free

(1/3) > >>

IainB:
I thought I might describe the process here in case anyone found they had a similar requirement.
I have an HP ENVY 14 (Beats) laptop, which has a Matshita DVD RAM drive.
It is Region-locked, and I wanted to "Flash" the drive to make it Region-free, so as to be able to play DVDs from any region.
I was in luck, as the Matshita drives are usually most likely to be amenable to being Flashed.

STEP 1: Check DVD status with DISK Info:
           Done using DISK Info v1.7.0ß, available from discinfo.rpc1.org - here.

STEP 2: Go to The Firmware Page Forum: (link given in DISC Info: http://forum.rpc1.org/
           Searched for UJ897. Found discussion:
           Making your Matshita DVD-writer region free running Windows
                http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46246&hilit=UJ897
           Posts in the thread detail what to do.

STEP 3: Essentially, the install/run steps here are:
3.1 download and install:

* MatshitaWinDump_1.02.zip - has added support for Matshita drives having an hp drive id.
* MatshitaWinFlash.zip

3.2 run the MatshitaWinDump.bat file to generate files:
      hp______DVD_RAM_UJ897___1.00.dat - backup of the existing configuration.
      hp______DVD_RAM_UJ897___1.00_RPC1.dat - the configuration to Flash with.

3.3 Drop the ...RPC1.dat file onto MatshitaWinFlash.bat
     (The Flash operation takes less than approx. 30 seconds.)

3.4 Run Disk Info again to see the result:
      (Can reflash with the backup configuration, if I want to restore the original DVD drive configuration.)
      RPC1 indicates that the drive is now Region-free.

Great - all OK. I can now play that Region 2 DVD I was given..    8)

Stoic Joker:
Great - all OK. I can now play that Region 2 DVD I was given..
-IainB (August 23, 2012, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't the drop in read/write speed be cause for concern?

IainB:
...Wouldn't the drop in read/write speed be cause for concern?
-Stoic Joker (August 23, 2012, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, yes, I think it could be an issue if (say) you wanted to write to some or several CD-ROMs or DVDs, because the write speed would presumably be artificially slowed by the flash - reduced to 1/3 the speed of its designed potential speed. However, I have so far only once used this laptop's DVD writer, and that was to create a backup/recovery disc as an experiment as much as anything else. I rarely, if ever, have any use/patience for writing to CD-ROMs or DVDs. The reduced read speed in this case doesn't appear to affect the experience of viewing a DVD anyway - I have already checked that. Nor does it seem to affect the typical elapsed time for running DVD Shrink on a disk - I already tested that too. So maybe it's not really been slowed down in fact. (I don't know.)

However, it did quite surprise me that the spec Read/Write speed had been so reduced by the Flash - and that's why I pointed it out in the screenshot - but, as I wrote:
(Can reflash with the backup configuration, if I want to restore the original DVD drive configuration.)
--- End quote ---

I have flashed a few DVD drives to RPC1, over the years, but have never yet wanted/needed to restore their original settings, though, having said that, I suppose there's always going to be a first time! I might try it as an experiment.

Incidentally, there is a buying check for the wise in this: Before purchasing a computer, do some research and check whether it has a Region-free (RPC1) or flashable model of DVD drive. It can sometimes be a real nuisance to later discover that you can't unlock a DVD drive in your new computer. You may end up having to buy a separate, additional drive - one that is a Region-free (RPC1) or flashable model of DVD drive.

40hz:
[/i] Before purchasing a computer, do some research and check whether it has a Region-free (RPC1) or flashable model of DVD drive. It can sometimes be a real nuisance to later discover that you can't unlock a DVD drive in your new computer. You may end up having to buy a separate, additional drive - one that is a Region-free (RPC1) or flashable model of DVD drive.
-IainB (August 23, 2012, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Q: Aren't all drives manufactured after 2000 or 2001 RPC2? I thought I read that somewhere. :huh: Or did that just apply to drives sold in the USA?

Stoic Joker:
My Plextor is region free and it's no where near that old.

...Or am I thinking of the wrong thing??

@IainB - What DiskInfo utility are you using in the above screen shots?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version