ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simplifying Your Computer

<< < (6/6)

rgdot:
I have original Windows discs sitting right here but for the purpose format/reinstall is there legal *up to date* Windows image available somewhere or is there some mystery method I am clueless about? (there have been 100s of MB updates since SP3 alone)
-rgdot (August 23, 2012, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

do you mean original as in SP0 so-to-speak?
If so, according to the nlite forums, you can slipstream it with SP3 (using nlite) and it should work. But I cannot guarantee that. I dont have links but did research it during the week. I actually tried it but it didnt work in a VM install - but I think that may have been to do with me adding the key in nlite and VMWare trying to also use a quick install system. Or maybe it just doesnt work...

There was an XP-up-to-SP3 download at one stage from MS -
I actually still have it I think, but it didnt work for my keys cause they are for OEM version.
-tomos (August 23, 2012, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I had seen WSUS Offline Update over the years at download sites but never considered using it, same with nlite. Have been hesitant to do OS reinstalls unless absolutely needed.

Stoic Joker:
I have original Windows discs sitting right here but for the purpose format/reinstall is there legal *up to date* Windows image available somewhere or is there some mystery method I am clueless about? (there have been 100s of MB updates since SP3 alone)-rgdot (August 23, 2012, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

home/professional OEM/Retail ... What would you be looking for?

Addendum: if you do decide to do a clean reinstall, don't forget to backup all your current hardware drivers first. Hunting down drivers - especially XP drivers - is a real PITA. So if you already have a working machine, take advantage of that and get copies of the drivers prior to flat-lining your current system disk.-40hz (August 23, 2012, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

In a pinch I'll boot to WinPE, strip the attributes and permissions and toss the old install in a folder, and then just drop the new OS next to the old one (variation on a parallel install). Then I can pick out the driver bits from the old install and feed them to device manager (it's actually a lot faster than it sounds).

barney:
In a pinch I'll boot to WinPE, strip the attributes and permissions and toss the old install in a folder, and then just drop the new OS next to the old one (variation on a parallel install). Then I can pick out the driver bits from the old install and feed them to device manager (it's actually a lot faster than it sounds).
-Stoic Joker (August 23, 2012, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

And no chance of overlooking a driver  :Thmbsup:.  Works like a charm.  And you also have the old registry hives available for comparison(s).  That process has been a life-saver (and a hair-saver) more than once  :-* :P.

rgdot:
home/professional OEM/Retail ... What would you be looking for?
--- End quote ---

Professional OEM

40hz:
--- End quote ---

And no chance of overlooking a driver  :Thmbsup:.  Works like a charm.  And you also have the old registry hives available for comparison(s).  That process has been a life-saver (and a hair-saver) more than once  :-* :P.
-barney (August 23, 2012, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

@SJ: Wow! Power user! Haven't heard anybody doing the side-by-side trick in a long time. Muy macho! (I like!)

@Barney: Yes indeed! That trick has been a life-saver (or more correctly 'client saver' ) for me a few times too. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version