ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simplifying Your Computer

(1/6) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

I just now decided to begin deleting a ton of experimental stuff from my machine. One item did trigger a threat warning (Daz studio) due to a less-than-clean install, but overall it's just because I am growing tired and can't recall what 200 programs installed at 20-per-project do anymore. Even a few DC items, fine in themselves, went. It's just that I am slowly consolidating what I do on comp-time to eventually do more off-line time.

I won't even bother listing the programs, they're just random-typical utilities and programs. I sorta only stopped at 50 because I was tired of waiting for installers today, the whole thing was urged that every time Adobe wants to update it wants to reboot, so I said "hell, if I have to reboot, let's make it good!"

Another 150 programs to go later. Anyone else have cleanup stories?

cranioscopical:
Anyone else have cleanup stories?

--- End quote ---

Only that, like many of us here, I move 'older' machines out to good homes. The last one went to a friend who uses much of the same software as I. Over a period of several days I rooted out masses of other software ( >600) and data, then optimized the box. As I gave it away I wondered why I'd not done this for myself. It was flying along compared to when I'd been using it.
 :-[

sword:
I've been doing this for years but I'm taking a slightly different approach. With hardware being so cheap...
First, my needs are basic. No huge files or big downloads, mostly text, gathering data and processing it.
Box 1:
Linux Mint 12 by Ethernet cable to modem and Firefox for gathering and forums. Linux Shutter, editors, and side-interests (Bender, Inkscape, Getting Things Gnome, org-mode, Freeplane, prolog), AV, Web Of Trust. No file storage except temporary/daily.
Windows 2K, not connected to the Internet. Wordperfect, Irfanview. Temporary processing and to CD/USB
Box 2:
Laptop XP email, software download, ImageBurn ViaVoice 8 Advanced. No file storage. Save to CD or USB. Occasional Live Linux CD use.
Box 3:
Windows 2K, not connected to modem or Internet. Wordperfect, Photoshop, Imageburn.
Box 4:
Windows 2K, not connected to modem or Internet. Wordperfect, Photoshop.
I removed XP from several boxes and have the licenses but prefer 2K. It serves all of my needs and I know it better.

I'm planning on simplifying further with a box/board with no hard drive for Live CD/USB Linux. I am also watching for developments in small specialized OSes like Puppy for RPi. My wife has Ubuntu on a laptop and we share email accounts on the same ISP. Her start was Pascal, mine was Fortran. We are not Luddites but we do like efficiency.   ;D

I have wiped lots of database apps, OneNote, Access, firewalls, AV and file organizing apps and keep going back to basics.

40hz:
Don't know if this counts, but after 6+ months of constantly asking everyone I could if they wanted a Linux-based PC or server absolutely free, I gave up hanging onto my small fleet of perfectly usable project and "giveaway" machines. (There were 18 in all - including two older Proliant servers.)  

So, after a deep sigh (and an ale or two) I grabbed my trusty power screwdriver and went into full Hellboy vs Golden Army mode...

'The Fleet' is now completely disassembled. And all the pieces have since been given away, sold as scrap, or responsibly recycled. (Note: It's amazing the amount of "stuff" in an average PC that you do not want to just dump in a landfill even if it is still legal to do it where you live.)

For future projects I'll primarily be using VMs on my two workstations, abetted by some inexpensive low-power single-board computers if separate hardware is needed..

My old lab space now looks barren. It's a liberating feeling. 8) :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
Don't know if this counts, but after 6+ months of constantly asking everyone I know if they wanted a Linux-based PC or server absolutely free, I gave up hanging onto my small fleet of perfectly usable 'giveaways.'  (There were 18 in all, including two Proliant servers.) 

So, after a deep sigh (and an ale or two) I grabbed my trusty power screwdriver and went into full Hellboy vs Golden Army mode...

'The Fleet' is now completely disassembled. And all the pieces have since been given away, sold as scrap, or responsibly recycled. (It's amazing the amount of stuff in the average PC that you do not want to be guilty of just dumping in a landfill even if it were still legal to do so.)

For future projects I'll primarily be using VMs on my two workstations, abetted by some inexpensive low-power single-board computers if separate hardware is needed..

My old lab space now looks barren. It's a liberating feeling. 8) :Thmbsup:
-40hz (August 22, 2012, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wait...what is the meaning of this?!  No more lab?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version