ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

VLC - Is it worth it still?

<< < (4/5) > >>

nosh:
I'm all for side-stepping codec hell and going for an all in one solution. My player of choice: PotPlayer. BTW, I heard (unconfirmed) KMPlayer took the Adware route with their latest iteration.

J-Mac:
As for audio output being sub par, I wouldn’t know as I use it only for video. I use MediaMonkey Gold for my music, and it sounds just fine for me! It's output is to my computer speakers which is a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and it does fine for that.   8)
-J-Mac (August 21, 2012, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you already use MMG for your music, with the codecs installed, it becomes quite good for managing everything...
-wraith808 (August 21, 2012, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wraith, do you mean it handles video well also? I know I tried it in the past, when they first added video to MMG, and it wasn’t that great - didn't have all the features that VLC does. Maybe I should give it another try.

I really like VLC for video for a few reasons, like:

- Ability to speed up and/or slow down on the fly
  - Snapshots while playing
  - Stupid convenience setting, but I love being able to pause/play by tapping the space bar!
  - It plays DVDs and utilizes their menus  (Neither WMP nor WMC can do this; tough to even play DVDs on WMP & WMC - you can't resume play where you left off, which is pretty common among most player, but at least with VLC and others you can drop back to the last chapter or scene. With WMP/WMC you have to start over at the beginning of a movie.  Grrr.)

Thanks!

Jim

wraith808:
Wraith, do you mean it handles video well also?
-J-Mac (August 21, 2012, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.  I've started ripping my DVDs to mkv, and I'm indexing them all in MMG with the codec pack.

MilesAhead:
SPlayer Portable plays everything I need accept for the occasional video that has PGS subs. WMP 12 handles those.

VLC also supports PGS subtitles. That's the main reason I haven't deleted the folders. Every version since 1.0 is crash prone on my systems. I must have said something to make it mad. It loved me before 1.0.

Cloq:
@MilesAhead

What version of VLC are you using? I can't remember what version I had awhile back vlc use to freeze and lock up. I updated my video and audio drivers and vlc has worked fine since.

You may want to uncheck use GPU accelerated decoding especially if you have an AMD/ATI video card.

From VLC FAQ:

VLC crashes.

Increase the verbosity level (either in the preferences or with a -vv command line option) and look at the debug messages (in the terminal or in the Messages window).

If you are convinced that it is a bug in VLC, have a look at the bug reporting page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version