ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

VLC - Is it worth it still?

<< < (2/5) > >>

vlastimil:
I believe VLC is worth it not just for the codecs. It was the only player I was able to configure to painlessly play content on a TV connected via HDMI while keeping the controls on the main display. Both video and audio can be configured to be sent to the TV. I actually use 2 players on that system - VLC to play on TV and MP Classic to play on the main display. VLC is one step away from perfection - it does not support 3D subtitles out of the box, or at least did not when I was checking some 6 months ago.

Another nice feature I have not seen in other players is that the audio goes to 200% - some movies have really quiet audio track, so this is useful.

:Thmbsup: for VLC.

IainB:
I used to be a die-hard winamp fan (video and audio), but moved to VLC after I was burned by codec issues back in the early 2000s.
-Josh (August 20, 2012, 09:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have been a long-time user of Winamp as my audio/music player - at which it seems excellent - but the video-handling aspects of Winamp were not so good. So I gave the video task over to VLC and have been a satisfied long-time user of VLC ever since.
I have tried various video players (including ALShow, which @Renegade refers to, above), but the one that seems to consistently come out with what are the most powerful/useful features and updates for my purposes, and is reliable, is VLC.

J-Mac:
VLC here. It does just about all that I need it to. And I don’t have to juggle Codecs and get burned, as has usually happened in the past! I tried to get K-Player about a year or so ago when it was mentioned here but I couldn't find a site that I could understand. I think it was an Asian site; I wasn’t even sure where the download link/button was.

Jim

Tuxman:
VLC was never worth it. The built-in codecs are of rather low quality, the audio output processing does not do what my Hi-Fi ears expect. Piece of crap.

jgpaiva:
I was never a big fan of VLC, mostly because its default keyboard shortcuts make no sense to me (I know they can be changed) and the subtitles look awful. However, I often find that there's some stuff that the system codecs can't decode properly and I have to go back to VLC. So, I suppose that if you're OK with VLC, I'd stick to it to avoid having to sometimes switch back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version