ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Coffee Mug or when Plastic is done right!

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
Hmmm, Perhaps we should get DoCo to sponsor a coffee mug of this fashion!
-Josh (August 20, 2012, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was tempted to post on the DC mug thread. But I didn't want to hijack. :)

MilesAhead:
You might as well use Sanka instant
-MilesAhead (August 20, 2012, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now, that would be gross  :'( :P.  Have you thought about finding someone with a 3D printer?  Might be worth a thimk.
-barney (August 20, 2012, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I worked in a garage where we all chipped in $2 a week for coffee. The boss drank Sanka. So that's what it had to be. Fortunately he also got hot chocolate. I wasn't much into hot chocolate but in the winter you have to drink something hot doing garage work in a cold climate. I couldn't complain since every time a surplus built up in the coffee fund he took us out to a restaurant gratis.

It's too bad there seems to be no way to get the specs for the mug. The cost probably wouldn't be prohibitive if made in a lot of 100 or 200 mugs by one of those promotional manufacturers. It's been awhile since I looked at those ads.  Thing I noticed with any plastic mug similar was the sip cap tended to be very brittle. Not flexible and comfortable like this one. All the ones I tried in department stores or supermarkets the cap seemed too hostile to use as my primary coffee mug.

MilesAhead:
Miles, you may be the one member that will enjoy my first ever web article:
The Ultimate Desktop Mug
-superboyac (August 20, 2012, 09:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, I didn't notice any mention of the black cap issue. I take it there was no lame after-taste? As I mentioned, every metal/black plastic hybrid I ever tried as soon as I put my lips to the plastic, I didn't want to drink the coffee.

barney:
It's too bad there seems to be no way to get the specs for the mug.
-MilesAhead (August 20, 2012, 10:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Any competent drafter could provide you a 2D rendition of the cup:

* measure the ID (inner diameter) the top
* measure the OD (outer diameter) at the top
* measure the ID of the cup section at the bottom
* measure the OD of the outer section at the bottomWith that, you could have one (1) made.  Your biggest problem, I suspect, would be replacing the flexible cap - that could turn into a project all its own  :'(.

Edit
You snuck in while I was typing ... the cap obviously is your biggest problem  :P.

superboyac:
Miles, you may be the one member that will enjoy my first ever web article:
The Ultimate Desktop Mug
-superboyac (August 20, 2012, 09:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, I didn't notice any mention of the black cap issue. I take it there was no lame after-taste? As I mentioned, every metal/black plastic hybrid I ever tried as soon as I put my lips to the plastic, I didn't want to drink the coffee.
-MilesAhead (August 20, 2012, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
You are correct, that plastic taste is definitely there.  I've never had a mug that didn't do that.  i guess to avoid that, we need to find a wide base mug with a cap made of ceramic?  That would be good.  But I've never seen anything like that.  My thermos bullet mug does a pretty good job with it, they actually put the metal on the rim so your mouth is touching the metal, not the black plastic.  not ideal, but it's better than directly on the plastic.  we should make the ultimate coffee mug!  seems like the market is calling...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version