topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TV Technology Dilemma  (Read 3596 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TV Technology Dilemma
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:14 AM »
So, I currently have a Samsung 4667W which is a 46" DLP that I've had since 2005.  Picture is still killer - it just doesn't have enough HDMI ports for me.  Add to that the fact that the lamps are fading, and I've decided to get a new TV.

Then I got a bit confused by the technologies out there... the salesperson told me that if I was using a DLP, that I was likely to notice the motion blur on anything other than a Plasma, and also to notice the difference in viewing angle.  I know all of the tricks they use when putting TVs on the floor, so wasn't going to go by the picture there... has anyone had a DLP or a Plasma then gone to an LCD?  Did you notice a big difference?

Cynical

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TV Technology Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:42 AM »
disclaimer
i'm a regular member here, but would rather remain anonymous to anyone that doesn't already know me very well.

1 of the things you will see in the near future is a massive digital convergence across more and more appliances and devices. samsung is right there at the core and has a lot in the pipelines. if you want to take advantage of the convergence, then sticking with samsung will be a good bet. for the other parts of your question, i'd rather keep quiet. besides, there are lots of people that can answer that here.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Yeah... I'm looking for picture quality and number of HDMI ports period in a TV.  Convergence doesn't impress me much- that just makes for you to have to replace more as tech changes.  As I said, I've had my TV for 7 years, and the picture quality still goes up against anything out there.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:31 AM »
I just went from a 52" CRT (yes it weighed a ton) to a 55 LG LED last year and am perfectly happy with it. IIRC the whole rub with LCD vs Plasma is the contrast ratio on the Plasma is (or rather tended to be) higher so you got better blacks etc. But the tech has improved with the LCD/LED TVs to a point where it's really not even noticable anymore (if you need special equipment to see the difference...there isn't one - Ya know?). Add to that the power consumption with Plasma being somewhere between 1.5 - 2x higher than an equally sized LCD/LED TV and it tips the scale rather quickly (or did for me anyway).

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:52 PM »
I just went from a 52" CRT (yes it weighed a ton) to a 55 LG LED last year and am perfectly happy with it. IIRC the whole rub with LCD vs Plasma is the contrast ratio on the Plasma is (or rather tended to be) higher so you got better blacks etc. But the tech has improved with the LCD/LED TVs to a point where it's really not even noticable anymore (if you need special equipment to see the difference...there isn't one - Ya know?). Add to that the power consumption with Plasma being somewhere between 1.5 - 2x higher than an equally sized LCD/LED TV and it tips the scale rather quickly (or did for me anyway).

+1 on that, and almost identical circumstance - 48" CRT to 55" LG (same one).  I also had a 36" plasma.  If there's a difference in video quality, my perception fails to notice it.  (Only drawback, for me, to the LG is lack of outputs.  Four (4) HDMI inputs, VGA and multiple RCA inputs, couple of USB ports, but output limited to headphones and TosLink (fibre optic sound port).)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 06:58 AM »
So, I found a Panasonic TV that looks like it would be nice... it has an IPS picture, 120hz, and the ports that I need.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

(Added Link from Panasonic)