ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I want a Sony Xperia SX, but I think it's stupid to buy one.

<< < (10/13) > >>

superboyac:
So you chose small too??  lol.  sweet.

I guess this is what I'm saying.  I *predict* that whichever company makes a top shelf SMALL android phone with good build quality and etc for the US will have a hit. Obviously, big phones are more popular, that's not really a question for me.  All these companies wouldn't be making 100% big phones if the market was not demanding it.  But the consumers don't know yet how much they will like the smaller phones, so they aren't demanding it.  So if I were gambling, I'm calling it: the next small phone is going to be a winner.  The SX can be that phone, but they chose not to release it here.
]
My guess is Japan will have a hit with that phone, Sony will realize that it will be a hit elsewhere as well, then they will most likely release a more global small phone, give ti a different ridiculous model name, make it with cheaper build quality, remove some convenient features I'm sure, and it will still be a big hit.  And then I will be super pissed that they made it worse than the SX.

They did all this all the time with the minidisc players and other stuff.  It's Sony.

ewemoa:
To be honest though, my preference is some very small device that communicates with a larger device which I keep in my bag.

Future smart watches that speak Bluetooth  (successors to the likes of the pebble) are what I'm hoping for.  I don't really want a device that is a phone.  What I want is the ability to use a mobile network for voice and data -- along with WiFi, etc.

The small device I might carry on me -- I'd like for it to be easy to glance at with a minimal display which allows me to do a few essential things (perhaps some simple acknowledgement to messages it receives from a larger device).  For more complex tasks I can imagine pulling out more powerful computational power from my bag -- I should be able to decide this through a simple interaction with the small device.

I don't think I'm alone in imagining this sort of thing.

superboyac:
To be honest though, my preference is some very small device that communicates with a larger device which I keep in my bag.

Future smart watches that speak Bluetooth  (successors to the likes of the pebble) are what I'm hoping for.  I don't really want a device that is a phone.  What I want is the ability to use a mobile network for voice and data -- along with WiFi, etc.

The small device I might carry on me -- I'd like for it to be easy to glance at with a minimal display which allows me to do a few essential things (perhaps some simple acknowledgement to messages it receives from a larger device).  For more complex tasks I can imagine pulling out more powerful computational power from my bag -- I should be able to decide this through a simple interaction with the small device.

I don't think I'm alone in imagining this sort of thing.
-ewemoa (September 03, 2012, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
You're not!  That sounds even better.

Fred Nerd:
+1
My solution to this: 2 phones. I have Google Nexus (running Jelly Bean, so glad I got the Nexus) but since its big, breakable and bad battery life, I also have a Nokia 1200 (I think that's the model, small, unbreakable thing, not picture capable)
My Nokia is the number I give out and is on a network with good coverage but high cost. My Nexus is on an unlimited cheap plan with a dodgy carrier.
If the Nexus is unavilable, or I don't answer it, it diverts to the Nokia (no cost)
If you send it a message, it forwards it (free app SMS forwarder, and free on the plan)

So then I only have to keep the Nokia on me and get any incoming calls. To make calls I take the Nexus where I get reception and call for free.

It works reasonable well for me.

superboyac:
Well, still no promising news on this SX.  My japanese contact said you can only get it if you buy through the carrier.  My friend will be visiting Japan in December and he's going to see if he can buy it on the street or something without the contract.

Ebay is selling one now for $825, which is a little too rich for my blood.  But it's the only option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version