ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I want a Sony Xperia SX, but I think it's stupid to buy one.

<< < (11/13) > >>

superboyac:
more bad news:
Xperia SX is a Japan-only model for now. It will work in other countries but you will have more dead spots since it operates mostly on Japan's frequency bands. Only the 3G signal will work, and even then, it won't work with all the 3G towers here in the Philippines.
--- End quote ---

i give up.  maybe it's just best i get a freaking jailbroken iphone.

superboyac:
Well, today HTC announced their upcoming 8S windows phone.  4" screen.  That's a little smaller than most, but still too much for me.  Why are these companies so adamant about not going below 4"?

What I don't get is how some of these releases are coming in pairs...like the GX and SX (>4", <4")...this HTC 8S and 8X (both >4")...the Nokia 820 920 (both >4").  What's the deal?  Why offer two phones at the exact same time with just about everything being the same?  I mean, that 820 and 920 are almost identical, yet Nokia made a very conscious decision to release them both in this way.

And then the companies are messing around with 10" tablets, 8" tablets, 7" tablets...ah, I don't get it.  5" tablets...4.5" phones.  Feels like there's a rule that says don't make a phone smaller than the iphone.  Did Apple get a patent on sub 4" phones or something?

ewemoa:
I have a pretty hard time with web browsers on mobile phones due to my finger size -- things are easier for me when the screen is responsive to finger nails, but that type of screen seems to be mostly a thing of the past.

Pure speculation: For a company that makes money on more time being spent using the network, use of things like web browsers (of course not via WiFi or Bluetooth) seems helpful for revenue.  Smaller screens might translate into less use of the web browser (and of course many other applications) and consequently less revenue.

More speculation: If the smart watch idea (I've heard it referred to some place as "first screen" -- I presume meaning the first point of screening or first screen one looks at) starts to spread, the amount of time one spends needlessly using the network might get reduced significantly.  Perhaps good for users, but seemingly not so for entities that are positioned to make money off of network use.

What do you think?

superboyac:
I have a pretty hard time with web browsers on mobile phones due to my finger size -- things are easier for me when the screen is responsive to finger nails, but that type of screen seems to be mostly a thing of the past.

Pure speculation: For a company that makes money on more time being spent using the network, use of things like web browsers (of course not via WiFi or Bluetooth) seems helpful for revenue.  Smaller screens might translate into less use of the web browser (and of course many other applications) and consequently less revenue.

More speculation: If the smart watch idea (I've heard it referred to some place as "first screen" -- I presume meaning the first point of screening or first screen one looks at) starts to spread, the amount of time one spends needlessly using the network might get reduced significantly.  Perhaps good for users, but seemingly not so for entities that are positioned to make money off of network use.

What do you think?
-ewemoa (September 20, 2012, 05:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
pretty sound theory to me.

wraith808:
What I don't get is how some of these releases are coming in pairs...like the GX and SX (>4", <4")...this HTC 8S and 8X (both >4")...the Nokia 820 920 (both >4").  What's the deal?  Why offer two phones at the exact same time with just about everything being the same?  I mean, that 820 and 920 are almost identical, yet Nokia made a very conscious decision to release them both in this way.
-superboyac (September 19, 2012, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

From what I understand, the specs and the price points are different on the phones.  Anandtech has a good breakdown on the differences between the 8S and the 8X - not inconsiderable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version