topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Inconsistency in Permanently Deleting Files From Screenshot Panel  (Read 4633 times)

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There seems to be some inconsistency in the behavior of permanently deleting files from the Screenshot Panel. I generally use SCC to capture multiple screenshots for documentation of a particular issue or purpose. Once I've completed documentation, I like to clean up the screenshots keeping my working directory relatively clean.

To delete the images, I generally select the screenshots from the Screenshot Panel by selecting the first screenshot using the mouse, then selecting multiple screenshots by holding the Shift key and selecting the last screenshot in a range to be deleted. I'm selecting the files the same as I would if I were using Windows Explorer to delete them. After selecting the range of files, I hold the Shift key and hit the Delete key on the keyboard. In Windows Explorer, this by-passes the recycle bin and permanently deletes the files.

In SCC, performing the same mouse and key stroke sequences most of the times presents a dialog box confirming the deletion of the files and movement to the recycle bin. I expected that by holding the Shift key while selecting the Delete button that the dialog box would confirm "permanent" deletion of the files, not send them to recycle. I can get them to be permanently deleted sometimes by unselecting the files and reselecting the files and hitting the same keystrokes. I would expect that the same mouse selects and key strokes should yield the same results each time, but it doesn't for me.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Yes, I had noticed that SSC sometimes seems erratic/inconsistent in its file management interface.
I had never thought to mention it before now, because my requirements for SSC do not currently include a mandatory:
"Must have a reliable file management interface replicating relevant Windows Explorer functionality".
The current SSC behaviour in this regard is not a showstopper for me, and I am accustomed to switching to the relevant screenshot directory in my File Explorer (xplorer²), for all file management-related tasks (e.g., deleting, renaming). That is a workaround.

So for me, the priority to fix this would probably be "C" - i.e., "Nice-to have".
(Where "A" would be "Mandatory", and "B" would be "Highly desirable".)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the report -- to be honest i never know about the shift+delete trick to bypass recycle bin. Let me look into it.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the report -- to be honest i never know about the shift+delete trick to bypass recycle bin. Let me look into it.

It's one of my favorites, as it's extreemly handy for site work when you want to cleanup after a repair ... But don't wan't to upset some end luser's tendency to store things in their recycling bin (yes I really do see this clueless behavior frequently).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...tendency to store things in their recycling bin...
Made me smile.     :)
Isn't that storage/retrieval system rather like "Living on the edge?"
There must be an app for that somewhere...

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Inconsistency in Permanently Deleting Files From Screenshot Panel
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:07 AM »
mouser, have you had a chance to look into this one? i realize it's not a huge deal, just an inconvenience when using the tool.