ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Go dark for IE - October 26, 2012

<< < (2/7) > >>

fenixproductions:
 :down:
I am one of the happy XP users and there is no true reason for me to lose few hundreds bucks just for the sake of newer OS and IE bashing.
IE8 is not so bad with few JS libraries in use (a LOT better than previous versions when you need to fix websites and I do it daily).

nosh:
Iain, from the site Josh linked to:

Why not just show a simple upgrade banner? Or why not just fix the bugs and get sites working in old versions?

The problem is some users just don't upgrade! And the reasons is very simple, some just don't care, some don't know how to, and some can't because of their IT department. In any case, as long as old versions of a browser remain the default on a computer, people will use it and developers will be forced to continue to develop for it.
--- End quote ---

TBH, I don't expect this approach to work either.

Edit: Scrolled all the way down. There are five websites participating so far.  :P

Edit 2: Facebook started phasing out support for IE7 at the end of last year. I don't expect them to start targeting IE8 anytime soon. ;)

app103:
Imagine my horror in 2008 when I woke up to find that my main PC had died a horrible death, leaving me with nothing to use but something built in 1997, something incapable of running the latest and greatest. Imagine my horror when I discovered that one of the sites I used for email locked me out because I was using IE6. Imagine my horror when switching to the latest version of K-Meleon didn't help me gain access to my email. Imagine my horror when I couldn't just run out and buy another computer. Imagine my horror when I had to use that old computer for almost a year.

I hate browser bigots. I hate when people propose punishing those that are less fortunate than themselves for their misfortunes.

I kind of put it right up there with the idea of beating up a one-legged man till he "upgrades" and grows another leg.

I don't care what you do, black out sites, cut off users, bomb them with popups and other notices, if they can't upgrade their browser, they can't upgrade their browser. If they can't upgrade their hardware, they can't upgrade their hardware. Nothing you do, short of buying them a new computer is going to change that.

I think a much better proposal, if you hate older versions of IE that much, would be to stick a form in the faces of users of outdated versions of IE that if they fill it out with their shipping info, you will send them a brand new computer. That would go much farther towards eradicating old versions of IE than just being mean to people who might not have a choice.

And why the hell does everyone choose to do these kinds of organized bigoted acts whenever I find myself forced to use an older computer? Anyone that doesn't like the fact I am currently not running the latest and greatest can fix that by going here and putting their money where their hatred is.

TaoPhoenix:
Wow App! That will get a discussion rolling!

rgdot:
Why Dell though? ................... Just kidding app :)

Can't add much except that the security issue or excuse is fine but passing the buck to the customer because you made a program full of holes is not entirely fair. Basically I agree with app but I guess not as strongly as she feels about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version