ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Samsung & Dell Printers backdoor

<< < (5/5)

40hz:

My cell phone memory card is smaller than my thumb-nail and holds 16Gb.  That's a whole lot of information that can be stored, especially if stored in a text format.
-Tinman57 (November 28, 2012, 08:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

True enough, but I'm thinking about the cost. Would they spend the extra? It's not the size so much as the $$$. -Renegade (November 28, 2012, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Samsung makes their own chips.  They can make chips for pennies for their own use, but cost a butt-load for us to buy.
-Tinman57 (November 29, 2012, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very true. Once the mask is designed and made, the reproduction costs are relatively negligible.

When I worked for Perkin-Elmer, they made a popular "stepper" microlitograph. One of the engineers for that division gave me a chip embedded in a block of Lucite. It was the first manufactured chip of a new design they had come up with. He told me It was worth about $5 million dollars. Then he laughed and said that's because all the development expenses get written to the P&L statement once the first copy comes off the line. After that they cost the company about 85 cents apiece.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version