ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: CD jewel case insert file list

<< < (2/3) > >>

jgpaiva:
yes, it takes up more space, but considering how much work it is ripping 400+ CDs, it's stupid not doing it right from the get-go
-f0dder (August 19, 2012, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1!  :Thmbsup: Also, isn't the €/GB relation much better in hard drives than DVDs? With the money you spare in using hard drives, you can buy more space to use a better encoding for the CDs ;)

f0dder:
yes, it takes up more space, but considering how much work it is ripping 400+ CDs, it's stupid not doing it right from the get-go
-f0dder (August 19, 2012, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1!  :Thmbsup: Also, isn't the €/GB relation much better in hard drives than DVDs? With the money you spare in using hard drives, you can buy more space to use a better encoding for the CDs ;)
-jgpaiva (August 19, 2012, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not sure about that - last time I looked, el-cheapo DVD-Rs were a bit cheaper than harddrives (at least when looking at drives with USB connectivity). But you really do want +R instead of -R (which tend to be a bit more expensive? Again, it's been a while since I looked), and if you want the stuff to last, you don't want el-cheapo.

FLAC size depends on album length and the kind of music, some encode better than others. I think average size for me is ~400meg per album. That'd be less than 160 gigs for a 400-album collection. Buy two 500-gig external drives, and you can mirror the collection (store one with a friend in case your house/apartment burns down) AND you have plenty of room to grow.

wetsmellydog:
WOW! Love the input!  ;D

Yes I agree that the investment in a HD instead of DVD "could" be better, my luck with HD is flaky at best. I have cashed in on my HD warranties.

Now the type of encoding is also an interesting factor...but my reason for DVD and MP3 is.....all current and most past DVD/BlueRay players will play MP3 format music. So if I archive on something that can be played on something a few years from now it is better than trying to match an eide, sata, or ? (future HD format) down the road. I hope to hang onto the orignal CD's as long as the wife allows due to the storage issue.

Yes it could work in Word but I need to import a text file into a multi column word doc that could span multiple pages formatted to the size of a jewel case insert.
I have not had luck with that. I am open though.

I will see if I can find the CD I have that has the fanfold output from the REAL player and post that for reference.

Thanks again for the advice.  :)

f0dder:
Yes I agree that the investment in a HD instead of DVD "could" be better, my luck with HD is flaky at best. I have cashed in on my HD warranties.-wetsmellydog (August 19, 2012, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Everything dies eventually, hence the suggestion to keep two copies of the collection :)

Now the type of encoding is also an interesting factor...but my reason for DVD and MP3 is.....all current and most past DVD/BlueRay players will play MP3 format music.-wetsmellydog (August 19, 2012, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Kinda-sorta makes sense, I guess, but I personally wouldn't sacrifice quality for that. Also, having to locate CDs/DVDs when you want to hear music? I ain't ever going back to that, proper media players ftw. I still buy CDs, but that's because I like artwork - if there were some decent DRM-free FLAC shops that also offered nice artwork, I'd consider scrapping the discs entirely.

So if I archive on something that can be played on something a few years from now it is better than trying to match an eide, sata, or ? (future HD format) down the road.-wetsmellydog (August 19, 2012, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
USB is going to be with us for quite a while. Yeah, probably not forever, but optical discs definitely don't last forever, either. I bet that, in order to be able to read them, you'd need to re-copy DVDs more than once before USB mass storage devices and the NTFS filesystem is no longer readable.

Also, even if you can't tell the difference between 320kbps MP3 and no-quality-lost FLACs today (I'll be honest and admit that I definitely can't on just about anything), who knows what quality audio gear you might purchase in the future? Better not throwing quality away :)

jgpaiva:
Also, even if you can't tell the difference between 320kbps MP3 and no-quality-lost FLACs today (I'll be honest and admit that I definitely can't on just about anything), who knows what quality audio gear you might purchase in the future? Better not throwing quality away :)
-f0dder (August 20, 2012, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1! Also, music that may sound OK in bad hardware, may in fact sound terrible in good gear. Recently I had problems with some MP3s that sounded OK in my macbook's terrible speakers, but when I tried them on decent headphones, they gave me headaches due to background noise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version