ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me understand Virtual Machine [VMWare]

<< < (9/10) > >>

tomos:
1. There are two VM states: either its O/S is alive or has been shutdown. Creating a snapshot of the latter is much quicker and much smaller in size. That is because a VM snapshot of a running O/S will include its "memory" state. e.g. if you run WinXP in a VM which has been setup with a 1 GB memory, the state of that 1 GB memory is always included in a snapshot unless you shutdown that WinXP before creating a snpshot.
-tslim (August 21, 2012, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

that was my experience as well doing straight forward backup.

Does anyone know:

I'm wondering, can I restore my backup to a different location and use it as a new virtual OS, or would it confuse VMWare because it's exactly the same as the other? I see I can open a virtual machine "which will then be added to your library"

f0dder:
I'm wondering, can I restore my backup to a different location and use it as a new virtual OS, or would it confuse VMWare because it's exactly the same as the other? I see I can open a virtual machine "which will then be added to your library"-tomos (August 22, 2012, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
If you make a copy of the VM files and open them, VMWare should ask you something to the effect of "is this a copy, or did you move the VM files?". It also does this after a reinstall (at least a full Windows reinstall, haven't reinstalled vmware on it's own).

tomos:
I'm wondering, can I restore my backup to a different location and use it as a new virtual OS, or would it confuse VMWare because it's exactly the same as the other? I see I can open a virtual machine "which will then be added to your library"-tomos (August 22, 2012, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
If you make a copy of the VM files and open them, VMWare should ask you something to the effect of "is this a copy, or did you move the VM files?". It also does this after a reinstall (at least a full Windows reinstall, haven't reinstalled vmware on it's own).
-f0dder (August 22, 2012, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks f0dder (I missed that the other day).

BTW I ended up having to restore a backup (i.e. replace the current VM from a backup copy). It worked fine.

tomos:
Anyone know about printers?
Can a printer be added? (I tried yesterday unsuccessfully -not looking for solutions here- just wondering if it *should* be possible).

If a printer is enabled in the virtual OS, is it then disabled in the main machine?

Stoic Joker:
Anyone know about printers?
Can a printer be added? (I tried yesterday unsuccessfully -not looking for solutions here- just wondering if it *should* be possible).-tomos (August 24, 2012, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not that familiar with VMWare (I use MS's Virtual PC) but IIRC it does support USB, so yes it should be. Or if the printer used a parallel port it should be fine also. Network printers you can do anything you want with.

If a printer is enabled in the virtual OS, is it then disabled in the main machine?
-tomos (August 24, 2012, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
No.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version