ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me understand Virtual Machine [VMWare]

<< < (2/10) > >>

Josh:
The question is do you plan to use the tool for more than a single machine? If not, then you do not need more than VMware player.

mouser:
I stand corrected regarding VmWare Player.  From the web, regarding VmWare Player:

In the latest version it can both create and edit virtual machines while it earlier could only possible to run pre-built VMs.
--- End quote ---

It used to be that VmWare Player could not be used to create virtual machines, only run those created by others.  But it seems the new version can create them too -- that's very cool.

Renegade:
I stand corrected regarding VmWare Player.  From the web, regarding VmWare Player:

In the latest version it can both create and edit virtual machines while it earlier could only possible to run pre-built VMs.
--- End quote ---

It used to be that VmWare Player could not be used to create virtual machines, only run those created by others.  But it seems the new version can create them too -- that's very cool.
-mouser (August 17, 2012, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that. I have VMware Workstation, and really didn't want to pay to upgrade...

Jibz:
Interesting .. anyone have some insights into how VMware player compares to VirtualBox?

vlastimil:
VMWare Player is a feature-limited VMWare Workstation. The most notable feature that is missing in the Player is snapshots. Snapshot allow you to revert to a previous state, which is very useful when repeatedly testing your software in a controlled environment.

Without the snapshots, VMWare Player is not usable for convenient software testing. But if you just want to use a different OS, by all means, get and use the Player, its compatibility and performance are top class.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version