ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wikileaks - Julian Assange Granted Asylum by Ecuador

<< < (12/12)

40hz:
Politically, I'm all over the place...
-zridling (August 22, 2012, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me too! But I prefer to characterize myself as a Political Non-Euclidean. :Thmbsup: ;D

Renegade:
Well, a minor update from The Register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/24/police_plan_for_assange/

"Action required – Assange to be arrested under all circumstances," reads a handwritten briefing note photographed in the hands of one of the officers surrounding the Ecuadorian embassy. The note says Assange is to be arrested if he leaves the embassy in the company of another diplomat or if the Ecuadorians try and smuggle him out in the diplomatic bag.
--- End quote ---

etc.

Carol Haynes:
I just hope Ecuador have large, bullet-proof diplomatic bags ...

Seriously though storming an Embassy is de facto  a declaration of war - are we (the UK) really happy with the idea that we unilaterally declare war on another state so that the US can extradite someone out of spite? I have heard of the special relationship but that if fucking stupid - but then our Tories are nearly as rabid as the republican guard in the US who won't be happy until they get a total republican military dictatorship with a cabinet drawn from Westboro Baptist church!

40hz:
^Not so much republican as praetorian guard. There is an element within the US government whose mantra is: "Patriotism does not get elected every four years."

Now you know why the Founding Fathers were so opposed to what we today know as government bureaucracies and career politicians.

Renegade:
^Not so much republican as praetorian guard. There is an element within the US government whose mantra is: "Patriotism does not get elected every four years."

Now you know why the Founding Fathers were so opposed to what we today know as government bureaucracies and career politicians.
-40hz (August 26, 2012, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Y'know... It's ok to instead of saying "career politician", just be honest and succinct and say "criminal". :P

(Sorry -- I'm really trying to refrain... but that I just couldn't pass up~! :) )

But, definitely +1 there!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version