ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wikileaks - Julian Assange Granted Asylum by Ecuador

<< < (10/12) > >>

40hz:
I wasn't talking about assassination. Last thing you want to do is create a martyr for the history books. I was thinking more along the lines of Noreiga. Nice little "fair trial" followed by 60 years in an 8x10 super-max cell - and with no visitors allowed because what he knows is a "threat to national security."

After a few years of that, most people just go quietly out of their minds. No need to kill the body. Just destroy the person.

Now that's what those in power might call "sending a message."  :-\

nosh:
My bad. I read 'ninja' and... *fzzzt*

Yup, that sounds only too realistic.

tsaint:
I'm afraid it's fantasy that Assange is not going to be extradited to the USA, should he reach Sweden. Everything points in that direction
 You say as FACT what at this stage is conjecture. "everything points in that direction" is hardly as basis for an assertion of fact. Everything has pointed to my football team winning the premiership each year for the last 20 years or so by now. They won it about 4 of those 20 times.
 You make be right in your PREDICTION, you may not.

I wonder what would be the story if the alleged crime was, say, child molestation, and the central figure wasn't a darling of the media.
 Would the idea of such a person refusing to go to Sweden to face molestation charges because the possibility of then maybe being somehow shipped to the USA be embraced? Or would the 2 issues be separated?

Whatever, to me it seems a bit like mob hysteria with all sorts of wild, fanciful claims springing up. Most of them based on half truths or rumour or someone is reported as having said instead of actual facts. With our favourite govt to hate being the witch.
Disclaimer 2. I'm Australian, not USA-an. And I hate the way USA culture has swamped Australian culture. (If I had the power I'd ban ALL tv and USA movies from being shown here) So I'm not a rusted on pro or anti USA person

tsaint:
I'm talking too much, but can't resist one last thought. Then I'll defer.
I seem to recall how everything pointed to Saddam having WMD. How ironic.

40hz:
^USA media culture isn't swamping anything IMO. It just caters to the lowest common denominator. And theres a lot of people like that in the world. Which is why it is so popular. Perhaps some places (the USA included) that complain about it the most may want to ask themselves why a "higher" form of "culture" isn't more popular. (Perhaps higher cultures aren't really as universally embraced as they might because the appetite for "crap entertainment" seems to be fairly universal? We see a lot of that in the USA too. People demand "quality." But what they actually watch is mostly garbage - even when alternatives are available. Looks like that old monkey brain is still firmly in charge  of our behaviors.  Depressing isn't it?) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version