ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wikileaks - Julian Assange Granted Asylum by Ecuador

<< < (8/12) > >>

Renegade:
Ok ok ok!

"assassination/indefinite detention/torture/whatever" - How about we focus on the "whatever" part. ;)

FWIW - US policy now allows for the murder/assassination of US citizens (example more). NDAA allows for indefinite detention (1 source of many). The US is well known for supporting and engaging in torture (at Wikipedia, lots of search results). The point being that they will do "whatever" they darn well feel like.

Anyone in Julian Assange's position that didn't dirty their pants in fear would be a complete fool.

I was originally trying to make the point that in his position, it would be a good idea to take any help you can get! (I should have left out "calling for".)

tsaint:
OTOH I dont think Assange can be fussy at this stage, what exactly he's facing can be argued, but I certainly wouldnt expect a fair trial (if any)
-tomos (August 21, 2012, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

But what fair trial are you referring to? The ONLY trial we can say with certainty that he's facing is the Swedish one. So projecting to a USA trial at this stage is fantasy.

Renegade:
Re Correa & corruption:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Correa
Paragraph three will give you a summary. (Paragraphs 1 & 2 are interesting from other perspectives.)

OTOH I dont think Assange can be fussy at this stage, what exactly he's facing can be argued, but I certainly wouldnt expect a fair trial (if any).

[Just to put my comment in perspective - I'm not a fan of Wikileaks]
--- End quote ---

I really don't know enough to comment, but I do wonder who those media organizations are owned/operated by. e.g. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qUFDMUpk9jE/S0E2grFA-1I/AAAAAAAAcaM/fCd1pcb1ZDk/s1600-h/media-moguls-1200x849.jpg

(I have less than zero sympathy for big media. But the "why" there belongs in the Basement. :) )

Renegade:
OTOH I dont think Assange can be fussy at this stage, what exactly he's facing can be argued, but I certainly wouldnt expect a fair trial (if any)
--- End quote ---

But what fair trial are you referring to? The ONLY trial we can say with certainty that he's facing is the Swedish one. So projecting to a USA trial at this stage is fantasy.
-tsaint (August 21, 2012, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 Julian Assange would have no hope of a trial as instead of the clang of a gavel, he'd hear the clang of a cell door in Gitmo. Trial for JA? Yep. Total fantasy~! ;D :D

tsaint:
I guess Renegade, that the reason I spoke up - not a smart move - is that the Assange debate seems to run precisely along the lines of claims of "assassination/indefinite detention/torture/whatever" which suggests the extreme possibilities whilst only factually based on the "whatever" possibility. ie the debate is not centred on fact but emotive claims and innuendo. Thus whipping up outrage and condemnation for no rational reason.
 This is not to suggest the USA shouldn't be yelled at for other things. In my youth I found it quite fun, but then I aged and got too lazy to yell at anyone
Disclosure: I hate all self appointed, evangelical, holier than thou proselytizers like Assange. Give me Elmer gantry any day

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version