ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wikileaks - Julian Assange Granted Asylum by Ecuador

<< < (5/12) > >>

iphigenie:
Transparency and embarrassment are just *that* threatening, it's worth destroying world treaties, the balance of power and everything over.

:o

zridling:
Sweden, the UK, and the US all look like thugs here, with Ecuador and Correa being the only independent democracy with any ethics in the world right now. Obama has laid the groundwork for a surveillance state, which draws suspicion on even mundane actions and uses it against its citizens.

The US claims the legal right to indefinitely detain its citizens (NDAA); the president can order the assassination of a citizen without so much as even a hearing; the government can spy on its citizens without a court order; and its officials are immune from prosecution for war crimes. Correa doesn't want this mess -- it's a lose-lose for Ecuador -- but he's got it thanks to these three corrupt and dishonest governments. Sweden's claims against Assange are bull since they've refused numerous invitations to "question" Assange inside the UK. If you've got a case, charge the man. If not, then make the effort and buy a plane ticket to the UK.

wraith808:
Obama has laid the groundwork for a surveillance state, which draws suspicion on even mundane actions and uses it against its citizens.
-zridling (August 19, 2012, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Statements like this irk me.  I don't care who's in office (Bush's war) but really, statements like this confirm to me the fact that people *really* don't know how the government works, and don't know/remember the lesson of Andrew Johnson.  Without the support of the Senate *and* the House, at least in part, the President can't do much.  That balance still works.  And so all of them are culpable in whatever happens, and all should be held to the same standard.  He has much responsibility- but not total.  He has the greatest power of any single person in US government- but not total.

Sorry... that just peeves me to no end whenever I hear it...

SeraphimLabs:
Obama has laid the groundwork for a surveillance state, which draws suspicion on even mundane actions and uses it against its citizens.
-zridling (August 19, 2012, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Statements like this irk me.  I don't care who's in office (Bush's war) but really, statements like this confirm to me the fact that people *really* don't know how the government works, and don't know/remember the lesson of Andrew Johnson.  Without the support of the Senate *and* the House, at least in part, the President can't do much.  That balance still works.  And so all of them are culpable in whatever happens, and all should be held to the same standard.  He has much responsibility- but not total.  He has the greatest power of any single person in US government- but not total.

Sorry... that just peeves me to no end whenever I hear it...
-wraith808 (August 19, 2012, 07:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

And it's just how the government wants it. They use the expendable character- the elected president that they can claim we're responsible for choosing as the scapegoat for the messes they make, enabling the behind the scenes crews to get away with murder.

Otherwise they'd have long since made the schools much more efficient at educating the next generation- because that knowledge bleeds through to their parents as well. Somewhere along the line the powers that be have realized that an uneducated mass is easier to control than an educated one, and have been quietly allowing education to fall into decline.

Of course this shows clearly on the internet, where as much as the intellectuals try to explain the situation there are just plain too many under-educated people out there for those of us that know to possibly make a difference in a reasonable timeframe.

And that's just what the government wants. A situation where freedom remains an unattainable illusion, while everyone happily slaves away to corporate taskmasters and accepts whatever is thrown at them without questioning why.

TaoPhoenix:

Otherwise they'd have long since made the schools much more efficient at educating the next generation- because that knowledge bleeds through to their parents as well. Somewhere along the line the powers that be have realized that an uneducated mass is easier to control than an educated one, and have been quietly allowing education to fall into decline.

Of course this shows clearly on the internet, where as much as the intellectuals try to explain the situation there are just plain too many under-educated people out there for those of us that know to possibly make a difference in a reasonable timeframe.
-SeraphimLabs (August 19, 2012, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

"can u say that again without all the big words?  :o   "  (/satire)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version