ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wikileaks - Julian Assange Granted Asylum by Ecuador

<< < (4/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
And thinking about it more, I wonder if the break down in diplomatic actions and language are just a mirror of the breakdown in communication in every other area in current times.  I think in the days of the Cold War, there was an unspoken etiquette between all sides in addition to a lack of a forum for such things, so the idea that a country would have even had to threaten to storm an embassy would never have even occurred because things would never have even gotten this far- a media outlet wouldn't have touched anything like this, and there was no open internet.-wraith808 (August 17, 2012, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

+100 - There seems to be an overall breakdown in respect for ones fellow man. People just walk around being nice in a medically induced politically correct fog ... but no one really seems to respect anything, anyone, or even themselves. It's all just scepter banging and posturing now.

40hz:
And thinking about it more, I wonder if the break down in diplomatic actions and language are just a mirror of the breakdown in communication in every other area in current times.  I think in the days of the Cold War, there was an unspoken etiquette between all sides in addition to a lack of a forum for such things, so the idea that a country would have even had to threaten to storm an embassy would never have even occurred because things would never have even gotten this far- a media outlet wouldn't have touched anything like this, and there was no open internet.-wraith808 (August 17, 2012, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

+100 - There seems to be an overall breakdown in respect for ones fellow man. People just walk around being nice in a medically induced politically correct fog ... but no one really seems to respect anything, anyone, or even themselves. It's all just scepter banging and posturing now.
-Stoic Joker (August 17, 2012, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amazing what the absence of the Cold War (and the threat of nuclear annihilation) can do for the levels of aggression many governments are now willing to indulge in.
 ;)

Renegade:
And thinking about it more, I wonder if the break down in diplomatic actions and language are just a mirror of the breakdown in communication in every other area in current times.  I think in the days of the Cold War, there was an unspoken etiquette between all sides in addition to a lack of a forum for such things, so the idea that a country would have even had to threaten to storm an embassy would never have even occurred because things would never have even gotten this far- a media outlet wouldn't have touched anything like this, and there was no open internet.-wraith808 (August 17, 2012, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

-Stoic Joker (August 17, 2012, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

For:

I think in the days of the Cold War, there was an unspoken etiquette between all sides
--- End quote ---

I think you're being a bit optimistic.

Regarding:

There seems to be an overall breakdown in respect for ones fellow man. People just walk around being nice in a medically induced politically correct fog ... but no one really seems to respect anything, anyone, or even themselves. It's all just scepter banging and posturing now.
--- End quote ---

+1

Which is why the UK is at such pains to find some "legal" way of removing the status of "embassy" from Ecuador's holding before taking any direct action. Because in a nutshell, storming an embassy - any embassy for any reason - is simply not done.
-40hz (August 17, 2012, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I addressed exactly that here. There is no "legal" way to revoke an embassy like they are proposing. They must give 12 months notice for starters.

Amazing what the absence of the Cold War (and the threat of nuclear annihilation) can do for the levels of aggression many governments are now willing to indulge in.
 ;)
-40hz (August 17, 2012, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

I think this is more about threat levels than respect. One would be hard pressed to find any level of respect in, well, I'll leave it at that and keep this polite. ;)

wraith808:
What was once the "intervention" methodology of the old (and often reviled) Soviet Bloc has now spread to the West, largely thanks to the Bush2/Cheney administration and 9/11.
--- End quote ---

Remember that until the US was caught, they were doing it too.  Why was their the need for an executive order against the assassination of heads of state?  To a certain extent, I think the Soviet Bloc was taking a page from *our* book, rather than inventing their own.  They were just less subtle about it- and more out of a lack of a need for subtlety than a lack of knowledge of how to be subtle.

Back in the day, nobody (including the US) would have dared storm any embassy for fear of what precedent might be set by doing so.
--- End quote ---

Right... I don't disagree... That's what I mean by it wouldn't have occurred.  But I still think it wouldn't have gotten to that point.  For all of the confrontational nature of the press of the 60s and 70s, there was still a certain level of trust and pride in the government that doesn't exist these days.  Not that there wasn't confrontation, but over this level of information?  These weren't a smoking gun... and there wasn't the media blitz and the thought that everything needed to be seen.  There was a certain respect for privacy and secrecy as long as it wasn't taken advantage of.  And I really don't think that these communiques even approached that level.

;)
-40hz (August 17, 2012, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

I think this is more about threat levels than respect. One would be hard pressed to find any level of respect in, well, I'll leave it at that and keep this polite. ;)

-Renegade (August 17, 2012, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

IainB:
Interesting article from former CIA man on Assange debacle: 'Not even in Cold War’s darkest days'
-wraith808 (August 17, 2012, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
^ Thanks. Very interesting find. Spot-on observations, and Truth.    :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version