topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Generic Card/Board Game Prototyping and Playtesting Tools  (Read 60354 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Generic Card/Board Game Prototyping and Playtesting Tools
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 03:08 AM »
I'm not sure Stencyl fits here since I haven't really figured out how to use it but there has certainly been card games done on flash.

I think free rules card games are often gameable so design wise, it's probably much better to focus on advanced tactics than actions but I'm mostly talking generically. It would still encompass action but this way it would be easier for a developer to be warned where their game is leading up to. (Does it increase rushing, stalling, etc.)

I know the above can probably be fixed by advanced rule testing but I see it more as a critical perspective because it can define many things. Take the zone of say poker. It's all in there in front but the ordering of who goes first is such a critical moment that zones alone could be what has kept card games limited in reality and in many ways in most software card games with less emphasis on reality. The breaking away from zones then may then allow for a concept maker to accidentally or purposefully create a card game that's altogether much more different and balanced.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 03:52 AM »
ZwodahS, email me ([email protected]) and I can add you to the private redmine project we set up for brainstorming about the system we were trying to work on.  Our focus was not on rule enforcement but many of the same concepts (zones, stacks, etc.) come up.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 06:05 PM »
I came across NanDeck today, and it made me think of this thread, and the list of prototyping software URLs in the OP.

nanDECK is a software for Windows (any version) written as an aid for game inventors, with the aim of speeding up the process of designing and printing deck of cards (useful during prototyping and playtesting).

It's Windows software, but can reportedly also be used on *nix under Wine.

download link

(screenshot below)