ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

waiting list at library...for an e-book?

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
Truthfully, I sort of agree with it.  You have to buy (or be donated) licenses, just like you have to buy physical copies.  I know there's a lot of problems with digital vs. physical, and silly limitations (and pricing) being carried between medium.  But I think that using a license per user isn't one of them.

Stoic Joker:
Depends on the delivery mechanism ... Sure superficially it's completely retarded because there is no way to actually "return" your "copy". However if they are using some type of date limited encryption which (time bombs) renders said "copy" of the book unreadable at the "expiration" date ... Well ... Now you have valid time slots where the book can be deemed as returned to be reissued to whom ever is next.

wraith808:
^ I thought that was the way that most of these worked.  I know at our local library, that's the way that it does work- with a time-limited license.  We like borrowing that way for my daughter because we don't have to worry about taking it back, nor late fees.  And they have a pretty deep well of books to draw from- the e-book distribution is handled at a (partial) state level rather than at a library level.  So you're actually more likely to find the books digitally than physically- at least if it's available at all.  This really helps in small town libraries.

The only bad thing is that only certain titles can be returned before they expire, limiting your ability to check books out.  Those kinds of books are a problem for my daughter because she reads voraciously.  But it's still quite convenient.

Stoic Joker:
^ I thought that was the way that most of these worked.-wraith808 (August 16, 2012, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Really? Shit... I was just guessing out loud. I ain't been to a library in years.

How locked down are the files? can you copy/print stuff etc.?

f0dder:
Gotta love DRM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version