ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 8: Yes, it's that bad

<< < (3/5) > >>

mouser:
I suppose it's true that for all the hand-wringing, it's possible that Microsoft could in fact pave the way (if not with Windows 8 then with Windows 9), for the unification of the desktop-touch worlds, giving us the best of both under a single platform, saving us from a future where tablet touch interfaces are all there is.

Carol Haynes:
Having played with not-Metro I can't really see the attraction (even for not-Metro apps). It is pretty ugly and annoying to use on a desktop.

As for the desktop - so long as you don't mind pinning all your apps to the taskbar you probably never have to see not-Metro.

Couple of points you can turn off the lock screen (who thought that was a good idea on the desktop?) and if you put the Desktop tile as the first tile in not-Metro you only have to press return when not-Metro appears to go to the desktop.

My problem is even with 3 x 24" HD monitors in AMD Eyeinfinity mode my task bar is stll not big enough to pin all my applications - presumably I will now have to start filling all the screens with shortcut icons to start apps.

I just hope they managed to sort out the ridiculous shutdown routine in pre RTM versions otherwise there will be a lot of unhappy people who resort to pulling the plug!

Stoic Joker:
I've played with the earlier versions, and DL'ed the final yesterday. Haven't had time to install it yet. But I really don't have a problem with Metro. I think this is just Vista bashing FUD v2.0

One think Metro does fix, is that it finally rids me of having to contend with the completely useless Control Panel category view. I can just type in what I want..and get it. Sure I could kinda do that in 7 also...but if I accidentally (old habit) clicked on the Control Panel, I had to suffer through the agonizing hierarchical word maze, or switch to classic view to make sense out of the damn thing.

f0dder:
Disclaimer: I only played around with the Developer Preview, haven't tried the RC or the final. But switching between FORMEtRo and classic does indeed feel schizoprhenic, and the touch gestures just don't work very well with a mouse. And you do need to go to FORMEtRo for stuff like the control panel (how often do you need to go there after initial system setup, though?). I like the FORMEtRo visual style, but it doesn't work well for all PC applications, and having to switch between two different operating modes... well, it's schizo. And then there's the issue of Secure Boot - which IMHO has it's positive sides, but I just don't trust Microsoft enough to think it's unambiguously a good thing.

A shame, since there's been a whole lot of nice improvements to the Windows kernel and whatnot. I wish MS would make the whole thing a lot more modular, and let power users do a lot more pick-and-choosing without having to revert to 3rd party tools like nLite/vLite/RT se7en Lite. Especially considering how hard their engineers have been working at making the various Kernel and API layers modular from Vista and onwards.

Why does it seem like every other OS version that Microsoft comes out with seem to be a bust??
-techidave (August 15, 2012, 10:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
NT4 rocked, Win2k rocked, WinXP rocked, and Vista wasn't all too bad when SP1 arrived. Your urban myth just doesn't hold water :)

My thoughts exactly.  And seeing the rumors of Surface at $199 makes me hope that it's good...-wraith808 (August 15, 2012, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'd suppose the FORMEtRo UI works pretty well on a tablet when you don't have to deal with both classic and FORMEtRo - so a WinRT tablet at $200 would be loooovely. I personally find that it "only" runs 1080p resolution a benefit compared to the iPad3, which wastes a lot of battery on running a ridiculously high resolution for it's physical size.

Anyway, the article seems pretty much a non-review to me - enough flame to generate pageviews, hidden under a thin veil of trying to appear as a review. Is Woody one of Randall C. Kennedy's aliases?

Might want to browse through Building Windows 8 while waiting for a proper review... and if you like the really technical stuff, browse Channel9 for Mark Russinovich stuff (been a while since I went there, so dunno if there's win8-specific vidoes... but the work they did on the Win7 kernel was already pretty impressive).

Stoic Joker:
I personally find that it "only" runs 1080p resolution a benefit compared to the iPad3, which wastes a lot of battery on running a ridiculously high resolution for it's physical size.-f0dder (August 16, 2012, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup: Damn Straight!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version