ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 8: Yes, it's that bad

(1/5) > >>

xtabber:
"Windows 8 review: Yes, it's that bad"

"Windows 8 is a failure -- an awkward mishmash that pulls the user in two directions and ends up as a desktop OS for tablets and a tablet OS for desktop."

"Windows 8 is guaranteed to disappoint nearly everyone."

These harsh words come from Woody Leonhard, of all people, writing in InfoWorld today.

Not having tried Windows 8 yet, I'll reserve my own judgment, but while I have read good things about the underlying engine, there seems to be almost unanimous condemnation of the Metro Modern UI.

mouser:
Thanks for posting that link -- sounds like the author had some of the same feelings I had trying it:

"From the user's standpoint, Windows 8 is a failure -- an awkward mishmash that pulls the user in two directions at once. Users attracted to the new touch-friendly Metro GUI will dislike the old touch-hostile desktop underneath. By the same token, users who rely on the traditional Windows desktop will dislike having to navigate Metro to find settings and apps they intuitively locate in Windows 7."

(ps. i changed your topic title)

techidave:
Why does it seem like every other OS version that Microsoft comes out with seem to be a bust??

Renegade:
Still haven't checked it out yet... and reserving judgement... When it comes to MS, things often get overblown. So, no idea yet...

wraith808:
Still haven't checked it out yet... and reserving judgement... When it comes to MS, things often get overblown. So, no idea yet...
-Renegade (August 15, 2012, 10:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

My thoughts exactly.  And seeing the rumors of Surface at $199 makes me hope that it's good...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version