ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Older Newsletters

DonationCoder.com Article - One Year Report on our Experiments with Donationware

<< < (7/12) > >>

phitsc:
That really is a very interesting read! Also fascinating how thoroughly you've looked into this subject mouser.

mahesh2k:
I like brendon's idea : Releasing 6-months key in Newsletter & Give them seperatey as well; :up:(This is like spreading word about DC softwares,getting more readers/users for Newsletter/Forum)

the question is, can we make a better system that still doesn't leave us totally devoid of donations..
--- End quote ---
Mouser, My Evil mind is thinking about this,let me come up with some idea,i'll post here about that :D

mouser:
I actually have a new idea i've been meaning to try that emerged from discussions with Anderson (author of Mobysaurus), which i would very much like to implement as an experiment.

Let me explain the basic idea of it and see if people have some feedback.

I think one of the problems with the current approach is simply that it is a bit confusing to people.

This idea would change the donation page into more of a multi-step wizard, where the first step asks the person to "self identify" themselves into a number of categories with nice images and short descriptions like:

Please choose the description that best matches you:

Just Curious!
I am just curious about your software and site -- I don't want to have to sign up and i'm not prepared to make any donation at this time.  Please just give me a temporary 60-day license key for now and I'll come back to the site later if I want to support your efforts or get a non-expiring license key.

Commercial User
I plan to use your software in a commercial setting and I'm most interested in knowing I can get technical support if I need it.  I'd like to pay for a commercial license at this time.

Reluctant/Skeptical Donator
I'm still a bit unsure about whether DonationCoder.com has much to offer me but I'm willing to make a small nominal donation to speed along the process and simplify getting a full non-expiring license key.  If I end up using your programs a lot I may come back and donate more later; if i decide that your site and software is not useful for me I understand that i can request a no-questions-asked refund.

Limited Income Supporter
I don't have much money but i'd really like to support your efforts and receive a lifetime membership and license key for all of your current software.  Please let me choose how much I'd like to donate at this time, and I'll choose how my donation should be allocated on the site.

Deluxe Supporting Member
I would like to support the site with a donation of $50 or more and receive priority support and guaranteed access to all current and future software produced by DonationCoder.com.

Big Shot Funder
I would like to make a large donation to the site in order to support the funding of future software on DonationCoder.com.

Educational / Non-profit Organization
I belong to an educational or non-profit organization and I would like to receive a free license key for a particular DonationCoder.com program for use by my organization.

Conscientious Objector
I will not be donating to your site because it is against my principles, or because my economic situation makes it unfeasible.  I am interested in receiving a permanent non-expiring license key to your software.

Repeat Donor
Hey you know me! I donated before and I'm so happy with the site I've decided to come back and donate a little more.  I understand that I can choose how my donation credits will be allocated to specific authors if I so choose.

The idea being that a user can choose which category best describes them, and then have the website guide them through their specific case.

My hope was that this would achieve a few things:
1) Better communicate the spirit of the site and the non-scammy nature of the site
2) Be simpler to understand what to do
3) Provide some nudging for people to donate if they can, but also a simpler path for those that know they don't want to donate
4) Make it easier for people who just want to quickly come and get a license key to see what to do without annoying them.

The wizard approach would carry through so that people who aren't ready to donate and just want a license key would be able to choose between Signing up at forum and automatically being scheduled to receive a non-expiring license key, or getting a temporary key immediately without signing up.

Again the idea is to improve the workflow so that people could come in and get what they want in the smoothest fashion.

And hopefully convince some people that the description of the donor best matches a description of themselves.

mahesh2k:
+10  :Thmbsup:

Educational / Non-profit Organization Should receive Non-expiring key immediately, isn't it? 

Ok, i have so many points & I'll still dissect on few things & will come up with my views as well later  :)

mouser:
Educational / Non-profit Organization Should receive Non-expiring key immediately, isn't it?
--- End quote ---

yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version