ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is having everything available in "real time" where we really want to go?

<< < (5/6) > >>

40hz:
One side effect I've noticed with "real time" is that it has brought about far less considered comments and writing.

There was a time when you'd very carefully choose your words and marshal your arguments on a given topic. Now, with the "need for speed" to either be first out the door - or (more commonly) being pressured to respond to something more quickly than desired - you see more and more pointless exchanges.

What I see is a gradual but very widespread and noticeable shift away from dialog. Instead of dialog there's now the trend of making a statement - and then digging in to defend it against all comers. Small wonder petty bickering and squabbling has replaced mature debate and discussion in most places.

To paraphrase an old joke: You want my answer, and you want it right now? Well... did you want it "right" - or did you just want it "now." ;)

superboyac:
One side effect I've noticed with "real time" is that it has brought about far less considered comments and writing.

There was a time when you'd very carefully choose your words and marshal your arguments on a given topic. Now, with the "need for speed" to either be first out the door - or (more commonly) being pressured to respond to something more quickly than desired - you see more and more pointless exchanges.

What I see is a gradual but very widespread and noticeable shift away from dialog. Instead of dialog there's now the trend of making a statement - and then digging in to defend it against all comers. Small wonder petty bickering and squabbling has replaced mature debate and discussion in most places.

To paraphrase an old joke: You want my answer, and you want it right now? Well... did you want it "right" - or did you just want it "now." ;)
-40hz (August 20, 2012, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm...very interesting point.  I must say, I have totally adapted to the whole "just say what you want to say" thing.  I have lost my patience with most dialogue.  But it feels like a chicken-egg thing.  I don't like the dialogue because of the pettiness and over-sensitivity, but my impatience is what is causing it sort of!  Ugh.  Very ambiguous.  I mean, on one hand, I appreciate the getting-shit-done type of attitude, but I also love to be able to have interesting discussions with people whoa re comfortable having a wide range of emotions.  I like it when people get angry and chaotic, and unpredictable, etc.  that's good stuff, that's a real discussion!  But the content needs to be rich.  I don't like it when all the emotion is due to people just not being able to disagree with each other.

I was watching the Milton Friedman Free to Choose debates this weekend, loved it!  I mean, it can get pretty stuffy at times, but overall very entertaining and educational, like a good conversation should be.  It is damn stuffy though, almost comically so.  I mean, look at the guy holding his knee:

Oh I love the struggle of eccentrically intelligent people trying to mask their cockiness with stereotypical professional poses.

My only personal problem with debates like this is that its difficult for me to be able to tell when someone is stating the truth well, or just trying to be a contrarian.  They're too smart for me to always tell the difference.  I love one, hate the other...very fine line between them.

IainB:
...look at the guy holding his knee...
-superboyac (August 20, 2012, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not familiar with that. Is it a body language signal of superiority, like steepling the fingers is supposed to be?

superboyac:
...look at the guy holding his knee...
-superboyac (August 20, 2012, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not familiar with that. Is it a body language signal of superiority, like steepling the fingers is supposed to be?
-IainB (August 20, 2012, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's more of a professional way of appearing casual.  To be honest, they're in a difficult situation from a "how to look cool" standpoint.  First, they are NOT cool by any means, and they know that.  So that's a problem already.  Next, they are talking some high intellectual stuff...also not cool.  It's being filmed, they're not actors, they feel awkward I'm sure.  And then there's the whole debate atmosphere thing...you know, keep your cool, process thoughts, form your logic.

I don't blame the guy, i just think it's funny.  If it were me, instead of sitting down, I'd be pacing Sherlock Holmes style.  I think better that way, and I can make more natural arm gestures.  If I wanted to appear superior, I'd point at people...they all do that anyway.  I hate people pointing at me when they talk.  How could it not be an accusatory gesture?

IainB:
@superboyac: Sorry. I'm not sure I can make sense of all that.
And I thought pointing wasn't "accusatory", but a dominance signal.   :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version