ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is having everything available in "real time" where we really want to go?

<< < (4/6) > >>

barney:
Note: If you've been doing the "web thing" for a while you're probably already familiar with some, or all of Vasilis' suggestions. But it might still be worth a glance as either a refresher or for something you missed.
-40hz (August 18, 2012, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, it was  :Thmbsup:.

Thanks, 40hz.  You've provided me with, finally, a valid reason to use cloud services without major security concerns  :-\ :P.

IainB:
Is having everything available in "real time" where we really want to go?
--- End quote ---
To my mind there is a definitive "Yes" to this, where our direction is to transcend what we can currently do. There is some mindful, creative and developmental work that can be done in real time via FREE Real-time online collaborative editing tools. Some of them are superb.
I have just posted about them here: Real-time online collaborative editing tools + FREE

You arguably couldn't have done this sort of thing easily - collaborated and communicated so interactively amongst disparate groups of people, and in real time - prior to the advent of the Internet.

app103:
I had an interesting discussion with my daughter tonight. She is at the age where she is giving serious thought to finding someone, settling down, and starting a family.

She is having some anxiety over the idea of becoming a 21st century parent, and it is mostly being driven by what the internet has become and how socially integrated it is into the lives of today's kids.

Gone are the days when a kid that was being bullied at school could come home, shut the door, and be safe from the bullies. Now we have cyberbullying, which brings it right into what should be the safety of your own home.

By the time she has kids and they get to be school aged, it will be considered normal for 5-7 year olds to have smart phones on them at all times, always connected to everyone else in the world, in real-time. She is concerned about this, and concerned also about setting up her kids to be social outcasts by saying no. She doesn't want to raise kids that are that connected almost from birth, but at the same time she also doesn't want her kids to be the only ones in town without smart phones and end up getting picked on because of it.

She knows that being a parent isn't easy in any age, but thinks that my generation and earlier had it much easier, because we really didn't have to worry about this kind of stuff....there wasn't an internet, or wasn't much of one, when we were raising our kids. She remembers the drama on Live Journal when she was a teen, the crap in the AOL chatrooms, the stuff her and her cousin was exposed to online, and she really doesn't want that for her kids, and sees things getting worse and more dangerous the more that everything becomes available in real-time and the more kids are so deeply connected at younger and younger ages.

It's enough to give her second thoughts about the whole idea of being a parent.

kyrathaba:
IainB, thanks for the links in your article.

IainB:
IainB, thanks for the links in your article.
-kyrathaba (August 20, 2012, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
You are welcome. Thanks.
I think that sort of thing (the activity of collaborative editing) is an example of where technology offers a potential for social evolution, but I am unsure as to how many people are able to actually accept the offer, get on with it and start to evolve.
It would probably not be correct to call this sort of thing "mindless" activity by any means. You could differentiate it to a lot of the activity referred to in the linked article in the opening post - which could most decidedly arguably/accurately be described as "mindless".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version