ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is having everything available in "real time" where we really want to go?

<< < (3/6) > >>

40hz:
Everything at a proper pace[/i]? Certainly more correct. But somehow, it loses something...
-40hz (August 17, 2012, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
You fast-walking devil!
-cranioscopical (August 17, 2012, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

You cannot claim to have "arrived" at DoCo until a post of yours gets a Chris christening! ;D

Hey Chris! Nice to see you're still around. It's been too much quiet lately. :Thmbsup:

mouser:
This thread seems related to my post on the pleasures of a time-shifted life.

superboyac:
I haven't read the whole article yet, but from what you quoted and skimming IainB's post (which I also have to queue up for reading later, as usual :D) I think I normally prefer things in real time, whenever possible.  Why not?

The only argument against it is for those cases where the fun of it is in the waiting...like waiting for the next episode of your favorite show to come on.  I break it down like this:

Entertainment:
For entertainment related things, being real time or not is not an issue.  Because there's a story being told, and the creator/artist needs to figure out the best way to tell the story.  So the feature of real-time doesn't help anything here.  This is an artistic issue.

Truth:
For facts and truth, etc., real time is always ideal for me.  Any delay just gives people more of a chance to lie about something.  And we lie far too much as is.  The truth is simple: it is what it is.  Don't make it more than it is, don't make it less.  If Lebron scores a layup, the truth is in what you saw in real time...how he scored it, what led up to it, etc.  Any more than this is lies and manipulation.  Even saying "That was AWESOME!!" is already manipulating it because it probably wasn't that awesome.  And the hater will say "It SUCKED!" which is also not true.  Only the real-time experience was the truth.

So for the sake of truth, realtime is always preferred for me.  i don't want any lies, any coercion, any manipulation.  Just show me the real muthafuckin thing.

Even lately as I've been on a quantum physics kick...I don't want the interpretations.  I don't want the fancy 3d models of balls inside atoms shooting out and stuff, or the animations.  I want the RAW data.  What are the scientists looking at that proves or disproves things?  Stuff like what's below:

because those artist recreations have really prevented me from thinking about it clearly.

The problem with real-time is that to be able to deal with the real good, realtime, truthy stuff you need to constantly keep up with your personal education.  And I'm noticing that this is what people don't like.  We reach a point in our lives where we don't have the time/energy/money/family/etc. to keep up with everything that we want to.  Then all the realtime stuff becomes too much very quickly...it's like data overload at some point.  So that's when we become like "I don't even want to know" or we just want to see the cliffs notes version of something.  is that good?  I don't know.  I personally don't like it, but it's also clearly a good way to be able to live in a community in a pleasant way.  I imagine if we were all craving and processing realtime data, we'd eventually just turn into chaos and violence.  If everyone was super impatient and also had the energy to resolve that impatience...oh boy, that would be pretty crazy.

TaoPhoenix:

In a way I'd say that realtime is indeed a double edged choice. I am starting to wind down my heavy internet usage because I mostly got what I came for. (User-Generated eduction in many topics). By now I have a decent understanding of many important issues, both computer and constitutional, and roughly with some 5,000 posts to my "web brand" I have just about reached a plateau.

That's when it's about time to switch to the summaries or skimming, watching for what's really a surprise, vs what's "just more data".

40hz:
Smashing Magazine recently posted an article with some good tips on how to keep up to date without spending more time than necessary to do so. Some good ideas if you haven't given your online reading habits too much thought.

The Art Of Staying Up To Date
By Vasilis van Gemert
August 9th, 2012

An important part of our job is staying up to date. Technologies don’t really change that fast — HTML5 and CSS3 take a long time to be specified and implemented. But the ideas surrounding these technologies and the things we can do with them are constantly evolving, and hundreds of blog posts and articles are published every day. There’s no way you can read all of those but you’ll still have to keep up to date. Here are some tips on doing that while still having some time left to work.
--- End quote ---

Full article here.

Note: If you've been doing the "web thing" for a while you're probably already familiar with some, or all of Vasilis' suggestions. But it might still be worth a glance as either a refresher or for something you missed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version