ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is having everything available in "real time" where we really want to go?

<< < (2/6) > >>

IainB:
(Sent from a motel two hours away from my home computer at 4:45 AM from my phone. )
-TaoPhoenix (August 17, 2012, 03:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hahaha. Very droll.    :D

And you could well be right about the "counterweight dialectic entry" - or at least in terms of the potential for that.
I recall in the early '90s, when I started to help admin to a locally-operated BBS, that the then perceptible explosion in email, IRC, and BBS chat forums looked like it was heralding completely new forms of easy and fast human communication/discourse.
(Of course, "fast" is relative. At the time, most connections were via dial-up modems, unless you - like me - were lucky enough to have a fast connection through your employer's international IT network. But where there had been nothing before, it seemed fast in the user's perception.)

But though it might well have been heralding completely new forms of easy and fast human communication, the general quality of the bulk of the communication - in terms of demonstrating the medium's enabling an evolutionary development of rational thinking, argument and discussion - seemed to be depressingly and abysmally poor. It still seems to be so, some 18 years later. You probably don't have to look far for some examples.

So, sadlement, I'm not really sure where all that potential for "counterweight dialectic entry" went.

IainB:
@40hz: Sorry, though I noticed it, I forgot to mention this before:
I think the correct link you referred to in the OP should be Everything in its Right Pace.

That's "pace", not "place". The speaker was on about the pace of using technology/things, not location.

I have always liked the Radiohead song "Everything in its Right Place" and was about to link to it in my first comment, until I realised I had misread the actual title on the linked web page.

TaoPhoenix:
Iain - it went to DC of course!  ;D

However, compared to the stark nothing before, having to manage "too much poor quality communication" is such a relatively small downside which is why I hoped to convey that the pendulum only needs to swing 50 percent back for my idea of a happy medium.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I think user side browser plugins might help. For example your user filter has "favorite operands" that you pick and choose for each site you visit.

For example on Slashdot "auto hide First Post and the next consecutive Anonymous Coward posts". However, no other site really has the First Post meme.

On YouTube it would be "Autohide all comments that are not spelled correctly"
.  Hehe for Nigerian emails it would be "Auto Spambox" all emails that mention more than $1,000!  ;D

40hz:
@40hz: Sorry, though I noticed it, I forgot to mention this before:
I think the correct link you referred to in the OP should be Everything in its Right Pace.

That's "pace", not "place". The speaker was on about the pace of using technology/things, not location.

I have always liked the Radiohead song "Everything in its Right Place" and was about to link to it in my first comment, until I realised I had misread the actual title on the linked web page.
-IainB (August 17, 2012, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

???? :huh:

Corrected. :-[

Thank you. :)

------------------------------------

Addendum: Is it just me, or shouldn't it also more correctly be 'at' rather than "in" its right pace? ;D

Hmm..I think I might substitute 'proper' for "right" while I was at it. And remove that faux possessive.

Let's see...Everything at a proper pace? Certainly more correct. But somehow, it loses something... ;D

cranioscopical:
Everything at a proper pace[/i]? Certainly more correct. But somehow, it loses something...
-40hz (August 17, 2012, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
You fast-walking devil!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version