topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Is having everything available in "real time" where we really want to go?  (Read 16301 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@superboyac: Sorry. I'm not sure I can make sense of all that.
And I thought pointing wasn't "accusatory", but a dominance signal.   :tellme:
Ah forget it.  It's just a bunch of my rambling nonsense.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hell, I thought pointing was a way of identifying one think out of a group of others - i.e. I would like that lemon filled chocolate doughnut. - Now I'd hardly be planning to dominate the doughnut by pointing at it ... I'd merely be identifying the focus of my interest.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hell, I thought pointing was a way of identifying one think out of a group of others - i.e. I would like that lemon filled chocolate doughnut. - Now I'd hardly be planning to dominate the doughnut by pointing at it ... I'd merely be identifying the focus of my interest.
In the context I was referring to, it's a manipulative thing.  Imagine pointing after every syllable: "You..will..do..as...I...say...or...else."  You try the same without pointing and it's not as intimidating.  People have all sorts of ways to cover up the fact that the content of what they are saying is all or mostly bullshit.  Inflections and all that.  And I know there's a place for all the rhetoric, but it's just interesting that it seems that those who are really good at rhetoric tend to have the least content.  And when I see that the public in general is more persuaded by rhetoric than content, that is something I worry about.  Seems like we've gotten really really good at bullshitting and the content is nowhere to be found.  But they tell me I'm just getting older.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

In the context I was referring to, it's a manipulative thing.  Imagine pointing after every syllable: "You..will..do..as...I...say...or...else."  You try the same without pointing and it's not as intimidating.

:-\ Really? ...I usually just start laughing when people do that shit. They just look spastic to me...and I can't take them seriously.

Seems like we've gotten really really good at bullshitting and the content is nowhere to be found.  But they tell me I'm just getting older.

Me too.  :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
...But they tell me I'm just getting older.
Don't believe them unless they can provide proof!
Oops. Oh, but wait...     :D