topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Coffee Mug or when Plastic is done right!  (Read 9541 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Coffee Mug or when Plastic is done right!
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Just hit upon another thread looking for DC coffee mug art work. It reminded me of my favorite coffee mug. Unfortunately I can't find a replacement anywhere. When it dies it's gone.  I can't afford to bid on E-bay for memorabilia. I've never seen a plastic coffee mug designed as well as this.

Note the width of the mug. When it's on the desk you don't have to worry about knocking it over. Low center of gravity.

01MugFront.jpg

Also the brilliance of the design is to use air as insulator, rather than heavy ceramic. Note this mug keeps my coffee hot much longer than any ceramic or other mug I've used.

02MugAirInsulator.jpg

Plastic end pieces shown.  The dark blue sippy piece is softer than the shell of the mug body. It's very comfortable.

03MugEndPieces.jpg

and the shot from the other side for completeness.

04MugBackt.jpg

I've looked all over the web and I've never seen this exact design.  Too bad the promotion was one per customer or I would have gotten back in line to rent more movies. :)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:40 PM by MilesAhead »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Coffee Mug or when Plastic is done right!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Just hit upon another thread looking for DC coffee mug art work. It reminded me of my favorite coffee mug. Unfortunately I can't find a replacement anywhere. When it dies it's gone.  I can't afford to bid on E-bay for memorabilia. I've never seen a plastic coffee mug designed as well as this.

Note the width of the mug. When it's on the desk you don't have to worry about knocking it over. Low center of gravity.
 (see attachment in previous post)
Also the brilliance of the design is to use air as insulator, rather than heavy ceramic. Note this mug keeps my coffee hot much longer than any ceramic or other mug I've used.

Plastic end pieces shown.  The dark blue sippy piece is softer than the shell of the mug body. It's very comfortable.
and the shot from the other side for completeness.
I've looked all over the web and I've never seen this exact design.  Too bad the promotion was one per customer or I would have gotten back in line to rent more movies. :)

If the promotion is still on, ask a friend or family member to redeem it for you, maybe for some sort of reward for helping you  ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:55 PM »
If the promotion is still on, ask a friend or family member to redeem it for you, maybe for some sort of reward for helping you  ;D

I think Blockbuster went bankrupt...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 06:02 PM »

I think Blockbuster went bankrupt...

There's still a store in my town, and I know of at least 10 more in as many miles lol - They still do pretty well around here for Game Rentals mainly (And sales seeing as they run specials, and are pretty much the best place for trade-ins now the other game store (who did go bankrupt) closed down)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 06:04 PM »
When I got that mug Blockbuster was only renting VHS tapes. DVD rental didn't exist. :)

They must have drawn up their own specs for the promotion. Damn good mug!! Way better than any of those metallic mugs with the black plastic after-taste sip tops. Those look cool but they make your coffee taste like crap. You might as well use Sanka instant if you're going to drink it out of those things.  :wallbash:

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 07:38 PM »
You might as well use Sanka instant

Now, that would be gross  :'( :P.  Have you thought about finding someone with a 3D printer?  Might be worth a thimk.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Hmmm, Perhaps we should get DoCo to sponsor a coffee mug of this fashion!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Miles, you may be the one member that will enjoy my first ever web article:
The Ultimate Desktop Mug

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06 PM »
I remember these mugs were very common when i was a kid.  It's unfortunate they've moved almost entirely away from desktop mugs onto cupholder mugs.  Like you say, very unstable.  Annoying, actually.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:13 PM »
The Ultimate Desktop Mug

I ain't MilesAhead, but I liked the article  :Thmbsup:.  Once had a mug designed to sit on car dash ... ceramic, nonslip rubber[ish] base pad, shaped like a [then] reentry vehicle, about ten (10)-twelve (12) oz ... not made anymore.  Seems that anything really practical gets axed pretty quickly  :( >:(.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Hmmm, Perhaps we should get DoCo to sponsor a coffee mug of this fashion!

I was tempted to post on the DC mug thread. But I didn't want to hijack. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54 PM »
You might as well use Sanka instant

Now, that would be gross  :'( :P.  Have you thought about finding someone with a 3D printer?  Might be worth a thimk.

I worked in a garage where we all chipped in $2 a week for coffee. The boss drank Sanka. So that's what it had to be. Fortunately he also got hot chocolate. I wasn't much into hot chocolate but in the winter you have to drink something hot doing garage work in a cold climate. I couldn't complain since every time a surplus built up in the coffee fund he took us out to a restaurant gratis.

It's too bad there seems to be no way to get the specs for the mug. The cost probably wouldn't be prohibitive if made in a lot of 100 or 200 mugs by one of those promotional manufacturers. It's been awhile since I looked at those ads.  Thing I noticed with any plastic mug similar was the sip cap tended to be very brittle. Not flexible and comfortable like this one. All the ones I tried in department stores or supermarkets the cap seemed too hostile to use as my primary coffee mug.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 11:01 PM »
The Ultimate Desktop Mug

Hmm, I didn't notice any mention of the black cap issue. I take it there was no lame after-taste? As I mentioned, every metal/black plastic hybrid I ever tried as soon as I put my lips to the plastic, I didn't want to drink the coffee.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:22 PM »
It's too bad there seems to be no way to get the specs for the mug.

Any competent drafter could provide you a 2D rendition of the cup:
  • measure the ID (inner diameter) the top
  • measure the OD (outer diameter) at the top
  • measure the ID of the cup section at the bottom
  • measure the OD of the outer section at the bottom
With that, you could have one (1) made.  Your biggest problem, I suspect, would be replacing the flexible cap - that could turn into a project all its own  :'(.

Edit
You snuck in while I was typing ... the cap obviously is your biggest problem  :P.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19 AM »
The Ultimate Desktop Mug

Hmm, I didn't notice any mention of the black cap issue. I take it there was no lame after-taste? As I mentioned, every metal/black plastic hybrid I ever tried as soon as I put my lips to the plastic, I didn't want to drink the coffee.
You are correct, that plastic taste is definitely there.  I've never had a mug that didn't do that.  i guess to avoid that, we need to find a wide base mug with a cap made of ceramic?  That would be good.  But I've never seen anything like that.  My thermos bullet mug does a pretty good job with it, they actually put the metal on the rim so your mouth is touching the metal, not the black plastic.  not ideal, but it's better than directly on the plastic.  we should make the ultimate coffee mug!  seems like the market is calling...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 02:51 AM »
You snuck in while I was typing ... the cap obviously is your biggest problem

I'm devious that way. :)  I'm just curious more than anything. I'll try to make my mug last as long as I can. It's been so long ago the producer of the promotion probably threw away the records anyway.

It's just kind of frustrating because when I tell people how great this mug is they have no way to get one or try it themselves. A shame to see a good design discarded. So much of the stuff out there looks like it was designed to make you not enjoy drinking coffee out of it.  The devious plan is probably make it look good, you buy it, can't stand to use it, then you just keep buying more. Must be a plot by the Tea Baggers. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 02:57 AM »
we need to find a wide base mug with a cap made of ceramic

My mug has no funky taste or after-taste. That's what's so great about it. The cap is a blue flexible plastic. I've found some other plastic mugs where the cap didn't have an after-taste. They had colored plastic sip caps, not black. But as I mentioned the shapes are top heavy and the design doesn't keep the coffee hot anyway.

Probably the same guy who believed they were going to stop making Coke Classic has the Blockbuster mugs in an underground bunker along with Mickey Mouse watches and a few decommissioned nukes. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Probably the same guy who believed they were going to stop making Coke Classic has the Blockbuster mugs in an underground bunker along with Mickey Mouse watches and a few decommissioned nukes. :)
Isn't that the fellow with crates of Snickers? Last I heard he was going to Mars.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Isn't that the fellow with crates of Snickers? Last I heard he was going to Mars.
-cranioscopical (August 21, 2012, 05:41 PM)

I heard Mars is red because that's where everyone in the universe dumps Cherry Coke. One taste and it's a waste! :)