topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Why Everything 1.2.1.451a still Alpha?  (Read 11751 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why Everything 1.2.1.451a still Alpha?
« on: August 14, 2012, 03:01 PM »
Just wondering why this Everything release is still Alpha. I've been using it for quite awhile with no problems.  People get antsy(or is it ansi?) when you send them to a forum page instead of the product's main download page. Seems like it should be on the main download page by now?

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why Everything 1.2.1.451a still Alpha?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:19 PM »
You mean This?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:28 PM »
You mean This?

... this I guess
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Yeah, that's where I refer people. But you would think it would be on the regular download page by now. I haven't encountered any bugs. Works fine.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:08 PM »
You could e-mail the developer to ask why.  It could be as simple as he's not had a chance to work on it so hasn't migrated it.  Or it could be some feature that you don't use.  Alpha generally implies that he's added features that aren't ready for general consumption or has plans for features that haven't been implemented to one degree or another.  Of course the exact definition varies by who you ask... so I'd ask the developer.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:30 PM »
Seems I got 1.2.1.452a  Here awhile back.

I asked if it's still being developed via Contact form. If I get a non-automated reply I'll post about it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Hmm, I notice the copyright on the site only says:
Copyright © 2005-2010 David Carpenter

Just as a weird aside, try googling David Carpenter. You get a serial killer, relief pitcher, actor, director of the Institute for Health & Environment at UAlbany, and, as the maketing types always say, and more!!!. No wonder there's no time to program!! :)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:12 PM »
People get antsy(or is it ansi?)

Have you been understudying Cranioscopical?

Kinda thimk Everything is like Identify Your Files (ify-x)  :-\ ... decided it was good enough and went on to something else :P.

Edit:  Only thing that counts insofar as copyright is concerned is the initial date of copyright ... although a bunch of developers don't seem to understand that  ;).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:46 PM »
I can understand moving on. But wouldn't you copy your last version to the download page? One anchor tag and a zip file is all it takes. It just seems strange.

btw I don't do understudy. Jokes I've been saying for years I see in media. For instance, I was just watching an episode of the old Lois and Clark Superman show that originally aired in the 90s. Lois asks Clark if maybe the bad guy is a disgruntled employee.  Clark then says "what do they call people who are happy with their work? Gruntled employees?"  I've been saying that for like 3 or 4 decades.

Likewise in the film The Guard where Sergeant Gerry Boyle criticizes the FBI guy for giving an inflated street value for the drug bust they are trying to make.  Boyle says "I don't know what street you buy your cocaine on, but it ain't the same street I buy my cocaine on."  I made that joke back in the 80's I think.

Later on the FBI guy tries to show Boyle pictures of his kids. He declines.  The reason being "all babies look alike unless the baby is extremely ugly. So unless you're going to show me a picture of an extremely ugly baby, I don't want to see it." I came out with that in the early 90s. Where I worked everyone wanted to show me baby pics out of their wallets.Extremely boring.

That usually quashed the urge.    

If there's theft it's in the other direction dude.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:40 PM by MilesAhead »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:00 PM »
I can understand moving on. But wouldn't you copy your last version to the download page? One anchor tag and a zip file is all it takes. It just seems strange.

Well-l-l-l ... maybe they did ... unlikely we'll find out, though, at this late date <sigh />  :( :P.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:32 PM »

Well-l-l-l ... maybe they did ... unlikely we'll find out, though, at this late date <sigh />  :( :P.

If you look at the download links on the forum, the zip files are being downloaded from that site. So one anchor tag would do it.  Maybe the person is otherwise engaged. I guess when some people are done, they're done. "Nope, I'm done messing with hand grenades. Won't stoop to put the pin back in. I'm onto something new now."
 :)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50 PM »
I guess when some people are done, they're done. "Nope, I'm done messing with hand grenades. Won't stoop to put the pin back in. I'm onto something new now."

Nice metaphor!  Hope it isn't accurate, though.  Could be the case that they've, "... shuffled off this mortal coil."

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:39 PM »
I guess when some people are done, they're done. "Nope, I'm done messing with hand grenades. Won't stoop to put the pin back in. I'm onto something new now."

Nice metaphor!  Hope it isn't accurate, though.  Could be the case that they've, "... shuffled off this mortal coil."

Hope not. That's a nice software. I just realized I was running 1.2.1.451a instead of 452. I have to start keeping notes one of these days. I'm thinking I may have experienced a bug and gone back to the previous alpha. Anyway, I'm running 452a now.  See if it bugs out on me. :)

The way google is going these days the guy might have a tough time getting a job. I can see the interview now, "are you sure you're Dave Carpenter the software developer, not Dave Carpenter the serial killer?"  Ouch!!

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 10:59 PM »
The way google is going these days the guy might have a tough time getting a job. I can see the interview now, "are you sure you're Dave Carpenter the software developer, not Dave Carpenter the serial killer?"  Ouch!!

Back in the do no evil days, I could see that ... not so certain now  :P :P :P.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Seems I got 1.2.1.452a  Here awhile back.

-"Last modified 29 Nov 2009". Everything is clearly not being maintained any more.

2012-08-15_223402.gif

------------------------
For Firefox, use Interclue https://addons.mozil...fox/addon/interclue/ to merely point at a link and see when a file last was modified.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Maybe the web page is a freebie?  Sometimes it takes a long time before they rip down the free pages. Slips through the cracks. Hard for me to believe the dude is paying a monthly fee and not even putting in the download link. But with automatic bill pay you never know. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Hmm, as of 2011 he claims he hasn't given up the ghost. But that's a long time with no future word:

http://forum.voidtoo...c.php?f=9&t=1107

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 12:52 PM »

Just as a weird aside, try googling David Carpenter. You get a serial killer, relief pitcher, actor, director of the Institute for Health & Environment at UAlbany, and, as the maketing types always say, and more!!!. No wonder there's no time to program!! :)

And they're the same person!!

Jim

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 01:39 PM »

And they're the same person!!

Jim

I hope not!  I don't want corpse coordinates popping up when I'm just searching for a file. :)

gdv22

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 10:33 AM »
A search in the Everything forum for the author's username, "void" (aka "David"), yields his last forum post dated Dec 6, 2011.

Per one of the most active Everything forum users ("therube"), registration in the forum seems to be closed, with the last user to register being on Apr 7, 2012; but there doesn't seem to be any official announcement about closing the registrations.  I have attempted several times to find a way to register and cannot find a link to do so anywhere, nor any option to contact anyone without being registered.  (If anyone here at DC is already registered in the Everything forum, maybe you can see more than an unregistered visitor can see. (?)

Changing the login URL (http://forum.voidtoo...m/ucp.php?mode=login) to http://forum.voidtoo...cp.php?mode=register yields a page that says, "Creating a new account is currently not possible." (Thought it was worth a shot in case the links were simply missing or messed up, but the function might still be available... ...but no such luck.)

From reading all the threads about the stalled development, I get the impression that no one in the forum knows what has happened to David Carpenter or how to contact him.  I hope he's OK and will resurface sooner or later.

BTW, AFAIK, the last version posted is v1.2.1.452 (Nov 29, 2009) mentioned above, and described Nov 21, 2011 by David as the most stable version (http://forum.voidtoo...288&p=4376#p4376) just a couple weeks before his last post on Dec 6, 2011.  (I originally couldn't find a link to v1.2.1.452a after I noticed it mentioned in a different thread, so I just tried modifying the URL for v1.2.1.451a and was able to download v1.2.1.452a.  But I tried additional modifications of the download URL with later iterations of the versioning schema and came up with nothing.)

Regarding the "alpha" designation, it seems Everything was being pretty actively developed up until v1.2.1.452a, with v1.2.1.442a on Oct 23 2009, v1.2.1.445a and v1.2.1.446a both on Nov 19 2009, and v1.2.1.451a on Nov 24, 2009, then stalling after v1.2.1.452a on Nov 29, 2009.

Nearly 2 years later, on Nov 25, 2011, David indicated "I still have much to implement before the next release" (http://forum.voidtoo...453&p=4382#p4382).  It's already a dynamite program, and I hope we'll all get to see and enjoy the next release at some point. :)