topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why Linux sucks (and how to fix it) VS. Linux doesn't suck (and I can prove it)  (Read 15804 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I agree with all that ^^.
Question: was there a similar point in history that was so effective in giving power to the common individual as what computers have done the last 20-30 years?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Question: was there a similar point in history that was so effective in giving power to the common individual as what computers have done the last 20-30 years?

Probably it started with the printing press and movable type. Later, the mimeograph and photocopier. But 'mimeo' and 'xerox' both were well before the last thirty years - although samizdat and it's close cousin the 'zine' are still useful and used today. Especially in places where the web is heavily censored or monitored. Samizdat was a material factor in bringing down the Soviet Union - and later preventing the success of a coup that attempted to bring it back.

Prior to the web I think BBSs and Fidonet in particular could be considered equally empowering. Many of Fido founder Tom Jenning's less radical views fit in very well with current F/OSS principles.

fido.jpg

But it was still very male and "geek" for the most part.

In general, anything that enables broad and unrestricted free communication is a force for social change. Whether it is change leading to liberation or oppression depends on who is behind it.

Where the PC/Web combination truly succeeded was in bringing global access down to the level of virtually anyone. I believe that really was a pivotal and totally unique achievement in human history.
 8)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:10 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^^nice recap, thanks.