ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Linux sucks (and how to fix it) VS. Linux doesn't suck (and I can prove it)

<< < (6/6)

superboyac:
I agree with all that ^^.
Question: was there a similar point in history that was so effective in giving power to the common individual as what computers have done the last 20-30 years?

40hz:

Question: was there a similar point in history that was so effective in giving power to the common individual as what computers have done the last 20-30 years?

-superboyac (August 15, 2012, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably it started with the printing press and movable type. Later, the mimeograph and photocopier. But 'mimeo' and 'xerox' both were well before the last thirty years - although samizdat and it's close cousin the 'zine' are still useful and used today. Especially in places where the web is heavily censored or monitored. Samizdat was a material factor in bringing down the Soviet Union - and later preventing the success of a coup that attempted to bring it back.

Prior to the web I think BBSs and Fidonet in particular could be considered equally empowering. Many of Fido founder Tom Jenning's less radical views fit in very well with current F/OSS principles.

But it was still very male and "geek" for the most part.

In general, anything that enables broad and unrestricted free communication is a force for social change. Whether it is change leading to liberation or oppression depends on who is behind it.

Where the PC/Web combination truly succeeded was in bringing global access down to the level of virtually anyone. I believe that really was a pivotal and totally unique achievement in human history.
 8)

superboyac:
^^nice recap, thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version