ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Can a program be reverse-engineered?

<< < (2/3) > >>

mrainey:
This whole site appears to be dedicated to reverse engineering.

http://www.reteam.org/index.html

Oh, I see somebody beat me to it.  How do I delete a post?

Veign:
Alot depends on the programming language used.  Some, you will only be able to get back to assembly code while others you can get back the original code.  I know there are decompilers that can work with DotNet code and you can get back to the higher level code.  For Visual Basic (6.0 and other 32bit versions) the best you can get to is a structured assembly code - structured meaning the original methods, classes, and forms can be gotten but the code is assembly.

To identify the programming language of an application you can try Language 2000 - a bit old but still may work for abandoned applications.

To see the guts of an application you can use OllyDbg.  I use this application to poke around and see what's going on inside of an application.

To decompile a DotNet application check out Reflector.  Also, check out some of the other tools this developer offers.

This is something I had a lot of interest in a time back.  I found some very cool applications that I would have loved to continue the development of but I could not get a hold of the original developer.  Some applications really shouldn'y die because the developer stops. 

This would be a great idea for a website.  Donate your applications and source code and the site assigns a new developer to take it over.  Provide a review process to make sure the next developer inline can do it and will put it back into the 'safe' when they won;t develop it anymore.  Kinda like open source except its trusted to a single developer.  I know when my time comes I would like to have someone take over and benefit from Veign

f0dder:
For Reverse Engineering, nothing beats the Interactive DisAssembler, IDA. It's a tool that goes way beyond what kiddies use to just remove software protection, it's a genuinely useful tool to look at the insides of programs.

Veign:
For Reverse Engineering, nothing beats the Interactive DisAssembler, IDA.
-f0dder (May 05, 2006, 02:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

At $439 US (Std Edition) its a bit expensive...

f0dder:
Indeed it is. I got 50% student discount when I ordered mine, though :) - too bad my support plan has expired.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version