ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Spikes

(1/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
For X amount of time now, I've been noticing random stalls on web activities. Lately I started putting Task Manager on, and basically every web action I do spikes the CPU. Just typing in this box does it, but the signature annoying one is scrolling pages. Basically any page I scroll shoots the CPU to some 40-90%.

What is that all about? I do know I have a sub derivative of Firefox, (originally chosen to stop a different delay recovering resources when I closed the browser) but it's like it has gotten worse lately. Anyone know if that is at all familiar to Firefox, or am I back to being the Resident Pest with an somewhat non-standard system that messes up people's diagnostics?

Anyone know of something like a hand-optimized variant of Firefox designed for pure speed?

Edit: It's almost like it's a rendering problem, moving windows around does it too.

4wd:
Palemoon

A custom-built and optimized Firefox-based browser for Windows. Make sure to get the most speed and efficiency out of your browser!
--- End quote ---

About the only Windows Firefox based derivative I know of.

What version of Firefox are you using and is GPU acceleration turned on?

TaoPhoenix:
I tried PaleMoon, X time ago it gave me a problem (either at home or at work, I now no longer recall.)

I ended up on Cometbird.

I WAS on "Hardware Accelertion", I vaguely recall that kind of thing causing fatal crashes at work, but maybe never considered the home angle ... stand by while I reboot Cometbird...

"Hardware Acceleration" is now off, and the smooth scrolling/auto scrolling are also off, I did a full defrag, and rebooted, and things seem to be a fair bit better.

f0dder:
You might also want to VACUUM the various SQLite databases firefox uses for things like the awesomebar and such - while defragmenting the files on your filesystem is definitely nice, the files can suffer from internal fragmentation as well.

Personally, I have all my firefox profile stuff on a ramdisk, which (among other things) is backed up with Genie Timeline.

dantheman:
Firemin might be of help to you.

http://www.datum-forensics.com/2012/05/firemin/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version