topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Win XP emoji font needed  (Read 13019 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Win XP emoji font needed
« on: August 10, 2012, 02:57 PM »
I have IE 8 with the Quivira 3.8 and Symbola 6.05 Unicode fonts among many others and I still get boxes for most of the characters in the tables at the end of the Wikipedia Emoji article. Is there anyone with a way for me to have less boxes there? The problem is even worse when I use the Chrome browser.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win XP emoji font needed
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:14 PM »
After installing the Symbola 7.02 font from this page, I had no issues seeing all the characters in the latest version of Firefox. Still couldn't see them in Chrome, IE8, or Opera though. (WinXP)

This page seems to indicate it might be an issue in Chrome that goes back at least 3 years.

And my guess is the chars are just not supported in IE8 and probably never will be.

So, if you want to see the chars, your best bet is probably to use Firefox.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:31 PM »
I also found this Chrome plugin to enable viewing: https://chrome.googl...ifhkabdbodaghlhfcbbd

Seems to work on Twitter by replacing the chars with small images, but not on Wikipedia.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:13 AM »
I searched the Chrome Web Store for emoji extensions and tried 3 of them. The 'Emoji' extension(see below) showed a whole block of older images, but only those. The "Show Me Emoji!!" extension showed all the images I tested in the document, but you had to highlight them and they showed in a separate window(useful, but not what I was looking for).

Emoji chrome description.jpgWin XP emoji font needed   Chrome 'emoji' plugin results.jpgWin XP emoji font needed    Show Me Emoji page.jpgWin XP emoji font needed   Show Me Emoji results.jpgWin XP emoji font needed

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:25 PM »
app103: Firefox 15 displayed most of the emoji fine(see screenshot below). But when I tried 2 pdf printing add-ons, I got terrible results(see attachments). Is there any add-on that can export this article with the emoji?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Problem solved! I printed the article in Firefox as an .xps file(a Microsoft thing) and using the XPS viewer(came with Windows XP) saw that I had everything there. I searched for a .xps program that could save it as something more generally used and found Convert Files which converted that into a .pdf file.

Convert Files.jpgWin XP emoji font needed