topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Switching Default Browser to Specific Firefox Profile  (Read 10588 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Switching Default Browser to Specific Firefox Profile
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Salve!  I, too, am very interested in this.  I use two firefox profiles - one for browsing and one for development.  And I use the addon called "ProfileSwitcher" in both profiles.  What that does is that it always pops up firefox's "choose profile" dialog that asks me which profile I want to launch.  It also gives me a toolbar button to allow me to launch another profile - but it doesn't do anything at all about which instance is the "default browser".

Now, whichever profile I launch FIRST on the system - that one will be the default "Firefox".  And if you go to settings and tell ANY Firefox instance to check whether it is the default browser, each and every one will say that it is already default.  The system's "default browser" is only for the browser, not the instance.

This may be a useful link for this thread as it refers to some registry settings.

So I would like to choose which instance of Firefox is the "default browser" via this nice Browser Tray Switch.

I created a thread for this at SuperUser.  We'll see if anyone comes up with an answer!

[I originally posted here, but nobody ever answered... I guess the thread was too old].

Also, it seems that the "default instance" is controlled by Firefox in Application Data\Firefox\profiles.ini.  There is an ini entry there for "default=1".  Problem is that you seem to have to restart all instances of Firefox...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Switching Default Browser to Specific Firefox Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Problem is that you seem to have to restart all instances of Firefox...
Guess that's the reason you got no reply to your previous, and same, question, before... (Firefox says: "No, can't do" ?? )

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:27 AM »
And you may have missed this Mozilla KB article: http://kb.mozillazin..._a_specified_profile

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:39 AM »
Thank you for answering.  Yes, I did miss that Mozilla KB page. 

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Ha ha.  Did some spammer just *bump* my thread?