topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Robert Downey Jr credits BK saving his life...  (Read 5261 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Robert Downey Jr credits BK saving his life...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:43 PM »
 :o
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00 PM »
re: $200m MOVIE - Well so far it's just Jeff Bridges saying it...and Jeff is Jeff so...I think I'm gonna reserve judgment on that story for now.

To quote Meredith Woerner in her article: I can't believe they let Robert Downey Jr. and Jon Favreau just run with this stuff.

Makes two of us. Because MMP Hollywood does not work that way. Favreau doesn't pack enough clout as a director to get away with something like that either. Especially considering he only had one film he directed (Elf) make any real money prior to Iron Man. And that was a Christmas themed family film, so it really doesn't count quite as much since the public loves those things and is always hoping for the release of a "new classic" each Christmas. (New classic? Talk about an oxymoron!) This is the type of film the movie industry refers to as a "pre-sold franchise" where the audience is already there.

Besides, AFAIK the 'money people' and completion bonding company won't greenlight a production without a shooting script/schedule approved and on file. Maybe the original script wasn't finalized or followed too closely. That's not unusual when doing an action movie. But there was definitely a script somewhere that Favreau was (at the very least) referring to.

Maybe Favreau just forgot to show it to Jeff? ;D

Either way, it was a pleasant little action flick. And Downey absolutely nailed the Tony Stark character. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:22 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:05 PM »
regarding the idea of the audience already being there...

My friend pointed this out a couple of years ago and I've noticed that it might be true...it seems as though these superhero movies are predetermined to be successful or failures.  Before they even open, everyone pretty much knows how it's going to go.  Everyone knew Spiderman would be a huge success.  Everyone knew the new Batman would be a huge success.  Superman seemed to suck before it came out.  Same with Thor, Captain America.  Ironman seemed to have been predestined for success as well.  Avengers seemed like it had no momentum going in.

And then there are little gems like Hellboy which was actually quite good, but largely ignored.  I don't get it.  I can't figure out if it's the audience prejudging it or if Hollywood has a hand in it.  I doubt its Hollywood, they have no reason to have a movie fail.  So what's up with people?  It's disturbing if it is indeed true and people won't give a movie a chance to be good without knowing ANYTHING about the story.

And I watched Batman last week.  The audience clapped at the end.  I don't know why they were clapping for that snoozefest.  Maybe they were glad it was over, I don't get it.

Beasts of the Southern Wild came highly recommended to me a few days ago.  I think I've outgrown superhero movies. :(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19 PM »
^Read the marvelous book Save The Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need by the late Blake Snyder. It will explain everything you need to know about how things work in Tinsel Town. Blake offers some terrific insights into why certain films get made and others don't. (It's not for what most people think are the 'obvious' reasons either.) A must read if you're a screenwriter, a wannabe screenwriter, or a real film buff.

Screenshot from 2012-08-09 00:14:17.pngRobert Downey Jr credits BK saving his life...

save-the-cat_medium.jpg

8) :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:27 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:37 AM »
^^ thanks I'll check that out, I love screenwriting books.  Strangely enough, they help me with my music more so than most music books.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:46 AM »
And I watched Batman last week.  The audience clapped at the end.  I don't know why they were clapping for that snoozefest.  Maybe they were glad it was over, I don't get it.

It's a matter of taste, I suppose.  I enjoyed it, and most that I know did also.  And I'm not just one to go along with the crowd especially in the case of movies.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34 PM »
^^ thanks I'll check that out, I love screenwriting books.  Strangely enough, they help me with my music more so than most music books.

Funny. Improving my music is what got me interested in film and film making to begin with. The processes of music composition and motion picture story development are remarkably similar. To me at least. Maybe it has something to to with how music and movies are art forms that are completely dependent on the element of time to work their magic. Because if you remove sequential realtime from the mix, there can be no music or movie. It's the sequencing and the pacing that's key to it all.

Hmm...there's gotta be some very long and "heavy" philosophical discussion lurking in there somewhere. ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:40 PM by 40hz »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:54 PM »
What about if you remove the pacing from a video, you sometimes get music!? Try this:
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=JzqumbhfxRo

Amateur - Lasse Gjertsen