topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: moving items in sudirectories  (Read 8183 times)

MamasBoy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
moving items in sudirectories
« on: October 07, 2012, 08:48 PM »
I use Directory Opus as my Window's Explorer replacement, but this question also applies to Window's Explorer. When you have a folder(directory) with lots of sub-directories and the sub-directories lots of files,and you want to consolidate all the files into a new folder, what do you do? (If I wasn't clear, I apologize. What I'm trying to do i strip-out all the files in all the sub-directories at once and copy/move them to another folder.)Thank you. Martin

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: moving items in sudirectories
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:13 PM »
If the files have unique names and the target folder is not part of the source folder tree, then you could do it in explorer this way: Open the target folder. Go to the source folder. In Search box in source folder enter *.*.  It will display all the matching files.  Press Control-a to select all.  Drag with the mouse into the target. If both folders are on the same drive, it should move the files. A fast operation.  I've never used DO.  So I can't help you there.

See this article for using RoboCopy:

http://blogs.msdn.co...les-and-folders.aspx

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:12 AM »
I'd go with the search box solution, but alternatively use Level

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:33 AM »
With Directory Opus use the flat view.
See this post for description & image:

https://www.donation....msg301004#msg301004
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:38 AM »
You may want to take a look at RichCopy

It's similar to RoboCopy but has a Gui. It's an MS employee written free program. It was the only thing I could find to efficiently copy the entire Windows.old folder over a network to another drive.  Explorer would have spent a couple of days counting the files first. It has some quirks but it's multi-threaded. That was the only time I really used it. But it's one free option to explore(no pun intended.) :)

I wrote a program called RCopy
(RCopy has command line interface only.)

It does a copy rather than a move. But it is somewhat unique in that the target folder may be inside the source folder tree without it being caught up in an endless loop. If the target folder is on a different drive then the "move" is a copy anyway. You'd only be left with the chore of deleting the source files. My main reason for writing RCopy was to copy a bunch of subtitle files into a target folder to make it easy to process them all in batch.

The other unique aspect of RCopy is the actual recursive copy is performed by either a 32 bit or 64 bit app depending on your OS.  This avoids problems with 32 bit emulator folder redirection on 64 bit OS. See the included Readme.txt for usage.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:52 AM by MilesAhead »

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Deep Remove 1.0.25 (remove folder or directory structures). I have not used this but it would seem to do what you want.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:50 PM »
  I just use Piky Basket for all my copying/moving of files & folders.  It integrates into file managers like Windows Explorer and Cubic Explorer.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:57 PM »
If you wish to adapt rcopy to make it rmove you are welcome to do so.  Basically you would change the .ahk script to use FileMove instead of FileCopy.  Also the output to the user should be changed accordingly. I made it copy only as I really don't want to supply utilities that delete people's files.  No upside and too much downside for freeware with no backing so to speak. :)

I included the .au3 and .ahk source.  The rcopy.ahk I comipled as 32 bit and 64 bit as _slave exe. The au3 AutoIt3 script just calls one or the other depending on OS being 32 or 64 bit.  The other issue, since ahk does not compile true command line apps, I have it return the number of files copied using the Exit value.  The AutoIt3 script gets this number back from ShellExecuteWait as an error code and displays the number of files copied on the command line to the user.

It's free for you to mess with at your own risk. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:53 PM »
  I just use Piky Basket for all my copying/moving of files & folders.  It integrates into file managers like Windows Explorer and Cubic Explorer.

-are you running XP, or did you mean PikySuite / CopyWhiz?
PikyBasket is impossible to download anywhere, and has not been updated for Vista/7/8.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 07:32 PM »

PikyBasket is impossible to download anywhere, and has not been updated for Vista/7/8.

Yep, I'm on an XP machine using Piky Basket, which is now copyWhiz.  Piky Basket is/was freeware.  I don't know about the new version, but the old version is awesome.

InstantFundas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Instant Fundas
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 12:33 AM »
I think what you want is Digital Janitor. http://davidevitelar...are/digital-janitor/

You can also try Suction http://www.geek-repu...om/software/suction/

I reviewed Suction last year and added a list of free application with similar capabilities at the end of the review. If you pardon my self-plug, you'll find the names of all the apps here http://www.instantfu...oves-files-from.html

Instant Fundas - Freeware reviews, Web Apps, Tech News

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 09:28 AM »
 I just use Piky Basket for all my copying/moving of files & folders.  It integrates into file managers like Windows Explorer and Cubic Explorer.
 Yep, I'm on an XP machine using Piky Basket, which is now copyWhiz.  Piky Basket is/was freeware.  I don't know about the new version, but the old version is awesome.

Do you have a copy of the old installer for Piky Basket version 2 ?

Piky Basket: Great timesaver while copying / moving files - DonationCoder.com
New Super-PikyBasket Suite is shareware - DonationCoder.com
PikyBasket replaced by Copywhiz - DonationCoder.com
:
piky_drop.gif

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:54 AM by Curt »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Do you have a copy of the old installer for Piky Basket version 2 ?

I have version 2.0b21.  I'll try to send it to you in personal mail...