topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: dual boot linux/win32 system  (Read 4578 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
dual boot linux/win32 system
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:41 PM »
hello!

it has been a long time since i worked with a dual boot linux/win32 system, what is now the most convenient way to create one?

thanks!

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: dual boot linux/win32 system
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 04:44 PM »
http://www.ubuntu.co...op/windows-installer

Windows installer for Ubuntu Desktop

With our officially supported installer for Windows, you can install and uninstall Ubuntu easily and safely.

Quickest and easiest way :)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 05:01 PM »
perfect, thanks  :Thmbsup:

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Not a problem :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:27 PM »
The classic way to dual-boot install on a single disk is to install Windows first, and use the installer to do the partitioning.
Then, install your flavor of Linux on the second partition, which you may split up further, and install the Linux bootloader, Grub, Grub2, or Lilo, which will handle booting tasks for both systems.
If you have a second disk, install them in any order you like, as long as your final step is to install the Linux bootloader to the primary hard disk.

The Wubi method is very easy, but has it's drawbacks, and is only designed for Ubuntu.
BEeN GRUBed can install most any other Linux.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Why dualboot when you can run linux in a VM, though?
- carpe noctem

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:09 PM »

This is how I do it. I run Win7 x64 with Debian Linux running in VMWare Player. I have shared folders set up and most of my Debian home folder is symlinked to folders on my Windows drive. I use Unity so my Linux apps show up on my Windows desktop with my Win7 programs (Autohotkey hot strings work in my Linix programs this way). I drag Linux programs off the "Start Menu" VMWare Player provides in Unity mode to create shortcuts which I use in a True Launch Bar Linux menu and place in a directory that FARR searches so I can just type "konsole", "kate", "word", or whatever in FARR and start whatever software I wish whether it is Windows software or Linux software. It's very nice as for the most part Windows and Linux blend fairly seamlessly. I'd never go back to dual booting again (unless I was doing 3D graphics work on the Linux side).

My system isn't a monster. It an HP Pavilion p6720f I paid about $500 for in Spring 2011. RAM upgraded to 12GB from the standard 6GB, however.
RetroRoleplaying -- Tabletop Roleplaying Games Before D20
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 01:20 PM »

Not the same experience IMO. And, if you're a beginner, VMs add an additional layer of complexity and abstraction that can sometimes cause its own hassles and weirdness. FWIW, I've seldom seen somebody who ended up liking Linux much if their only experience with it was through a VM.

Just my tuppence. :)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Not the same experience IMO.
Indeed - stuff that's graphically heavy isn't a joy in a VM... but most linux stuff isn't, it's worse running Windows in a VM :)

And, if you're a beginner, VMs add an additional layer of complexity and abstraction that can sometimes cause its own hassles and weirdness. FWIW, I've seldom seen somebody who ended up liking Linux much if their only experience with it was through a VM.
As I see it, if you're enough of a "beginner" that a VM causes trouble, linux isn't going to be joyful for you anyway... if you're at some intermediate-or-higher level, it's definitely nice running it "in a window" so you can resort to your usual tools while figuring out this new alien thing (and you have a fully functional system where you can browse Teh Intarwebs if you have display or network connectivity issues under linux).

If you plan to switch over, you have to immerse yourself 100%, though, no way around it - it worked pretty well for my 30-day Vista experiment :P
- carpe noctem